RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2024, 02:24:18 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | rare/valuable games to watch out for 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: rare/valuable games to watch out for  (Read 4649 times)
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:22:53 PM »

i'm planning on going on a big thrift store hunt this friday and thought i should really ask on here what are some games for various systems that anyone here would pick up in an instant for the right price? i know some of the major valuable/rare games for systems i'm familiar with, and a few others i've noted from posts here, but there are a lot i don't know. i would have no idea what is considered rare on older systems like atari 2600 for example, or even on some newer systems like xbox, ps2, dreamcast, etc. i'm always worried when i see games for under $5 in stores that i'm passing on something rare or valuable that i don't know of.

so what should i be keeping an eye out for when i go hunting this friday?
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 10:33:15 PM »

http://videogames.pricecharting.com/

You can check each system and sort price high to low. That will get you started.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:17 PM »

not sure why i didn't think of that, thanks lol. one thing i've always been unsure of with that site is how do you know what price to go by for CIB but not sealed (new)? do you just take a rough guess in the middle of used/new, or do you have to look through all the different source listings to figure it out?
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:46:34 PM »

You'll have to do a little more homework, but completed listings are there. Generally speaking though, if you know rarity you can gauge deals. If you're looking to profit instead of collect it takes time, patience, and study. If you're just looking for good deals to add to your collection a good base knowledge will help get you there.

You won't catch every deal every time. I've passed them by and kicked myself, but sometimes you come up big.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »

You'll have to do a little more homework, but completed listings are there. Generally speaking though, if you know rarity you can gauge deals. If you're looking to profit instead of collect it takes time, patience, and study. If you're just looking for good deals to add to your collection a good base knowledge will help get you there.

You won't catch every deal every time. I've passed them by and kicked myself, but sometimes you come up big.

that's what i figured. i'm sort of partially thinking about reselling (for the systems i don't own), and partially about just keeping an eye out for things that people on here might want. it'll be good to know what the tough games to get are, just so at least i'll have some idea what to look for. there are a few game stores around that i've seen some uncommon if not rare games at, but they seemed on the high side for price, i think they knew what they had.

i'm making a big list of thrift stores around town, i had no idea there were so many. i have at least 2 dozen stores listed so far, not all will be good for games but i'm not coming home empty handed this friday.
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:19:30 PM »

Depends, what system(s) games are you looking for?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »

Depends, what system(s) games are you looking for?

i was thinking for any system, for those times when i see something i'm not familiar with and wonder if it's something rare or valuable that i should be picking up. i took duke's idea and went through VGPC, that helped a lot.
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »

Well, there are the obvious ones like Ocarina of Time, Super Noah's Ark 3-D, or Ogre Battle 64. But then there are always those hidden gems.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 06:40:48 PM »

Well, there are the obvious ones like Ocarina of Time, Super Noah's Ark 3-D, or Ogre Battle 64. But then there are always those hidden gems.

Ocarina of Time isn't really rare, pricy at full retail: Yes, but not really rare. Unless you're thinking of the gold cart.

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 01:42:13 AM »

Ocarina of Time isn't really rare, pricy at full retail: Yes, but not really rare. Unless you're thinking of the gold cart.

ya i didn't mean only rare, valuable alone would be nice to know too. but i already know n64 Wink i was thinking more for other systems. there are some i know here and there but i don't know much about a lot of systems.
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 03:06:47 PM »

I have one of those fat little notebooks that have complete game listings for just about every system prior to Playstation 2/XBox/Gamecube, and I cross games off as I buy them.  I use it mainly to make sure I'm not buying doubles, but I also went through and marked off games that were harder to find or worth a decent amount.  I used the DP guides to figure out which ones were rare or worth something.  I marked off any game that was a 5+ in rarity or $20+ in value.
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:57 AM »

I doubt you will come across it but always be on the lookout for

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-027-S-05740-A

engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 10:52:07 AM »

I doubt you will come across it but always be on the lookout for

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-027-S-05740-A

lol
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 10:54:54 AM »

I feel like that is the RFGen version of being RickRoll'D

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 01:13:36 PM »

Not really. It says ULTRA RARE right on the page!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length