RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 08:58:17 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Does NWC belong in a "complete" collection? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Does NWC belong in a "complete" collection?  (Read 6768 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 01:31:44 AM »

I think of a complete collection i think everything that was available at retail. Yes that includes unlicensed. You guys need to get off your highhorses about that :-P

Not necessarily all the variants since in most cases it is still the same game. Notable exceptions would be things like Fable: The Lost Chapters where the Platinum Hits version had a bunch of extra content where as Halo, Halo Platinum Hits, Halo Best of Platinum Hits, Halo BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST SIR Platinum hits* were all the same thing reskinned.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 01:39:13 AM »

Halo BEST OF THE BEST OF THE BEST SIR Platinum hits

Awesome.

I think Howard said it best.  NWC wasn't really a release as it was only for the competition.  When I think of a complete set, I generally think of all licensed games that have been released for that platform.  I don't regard unlicensed titles as part of a complete set, unless they're so integral to video game history like Tengen cartridges were.  I feel that most unlicensed games are garbage, and for me aren't part of a complete collection.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2013, 01:40:50 AM »

i only say no to unlicensed because it's a vague term. licensed is clearly defined
Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:15 AM »

Unlicensed carts aren't part of a Complete Licensed set, obviously. Wink

I'd imagine anyone wanting a complete set, period, would probably want to get unlicensed stuff, variants, homebrews, etc.
GamerNick
Collector of All Things Video Game Related
Sega Genesis
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2013, 09:03:36 AM »

I don't really think of it as an unlicensed game because it was produced by Nintendo for the competition.  But to have it in a complete NES Licensed set is not necessary because of the aspect of anyone who wants to complete a set and does will always be missing those two carts because they weren't distrusted massively.  SO in point it wouldn't be fair to make it part of a complete set.

Nick Procopio
BNS Games
"Gotta Play To Win"
www.bnsgames.com
Looking for CIB - NES Games or Boxes & Manuals in Bulk.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »

Stadium Events was also not distributed massively.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

^I think SE is part of a complete set because it was officially released by Nintendo.  NWC was not officially released by them, so I don't consider it part of a complete set.
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »

^I think SE is part of a complete set because it was officially released by Nintendo.  NWC was not officially released by them, so I don't consider it part of a complete set.

Yep.  NWC is one of those super rare things that's really cool to have, but in no way was it ever meant to be owned by the public other than the people that were in the contest.  If NWC counts, then where does it stop?  Why not add a Playchoice 10 while you're at it...that's sorta a thing.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 09:35:56 PM »

I agree, but in response to GamerNick, scarcity shouldn't be a factor.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »

SE was also recalled and pulled off shelves. Doesn't that technically mean that Nintendo revoked their license, and it's not considered a part of the set?
*stir the pot a bit more*

Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 10:57:34 PM »

I have a list of the last 62 NES games I need to complete my set. NWC is not on the list (and I don't own one obviously).

Wasn't available for sale, doesn't count.

Running out of games to buy.
Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2013, 10:14:29 AM »

Wasn't available for sale, doesn't count.

In that case, are we to count the Legend of Zelda:  Collectors Edition for the Gamecube in a complete Gamecube collection?  It was only available in the US as a give away from Nintendo Power or for a limited time you could send away for it with the purchase of a new Gamecube.  It was never available for retail sale.

Same thing to some extent with the Ocarina of Time Master Quest release.  It was offered as a bonus for preordering Wind Waker, though for a very limited time in certain regions it came packaged with Wind Waker, though that was a disc only copy.  Should we consider that part of a complete Gamecube collection?  Should just the disc count?

Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

When I bought my Game Cube the Zelda: Collector's Edition was included right in the box. It was available for purchase right then and there. You had to buy a Game Cube to get it, but you still could purchase it. The Master Quest, well, thats a different story. If it came packaged with Windwaker, then you could purchase it, and it counts.

Running out of games to buy.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2013, 01:33:54 PM »

I bought MasterQuest/Ocarina for 20$s at Circuit City...

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »

no.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length