RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 01:18:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Burgers from trash cans taste the best.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Atari Files for Ch. 11 Bankruptcy Protection 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Atari Files for Ch. 11 Bankruptcy Protection  (Read 1723 times)
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: January 21, 2013, 03:25:38 PM »

http://www.cbsnews.com/83...les-for-ch-11-bankruptcy/

The company should be safe as all articles I've read say that Atari and their French parent company are trying to get a legal corporate divorce. Having an independent Atari could be good for the company and the industry, maybe they'll start using their D&D license some more.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Haoie
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 01:00:02 AM »

Just like the great crash in the 80s all over again?

If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 01:24:12 AM »

Apparently ALL of their IPs are up for auction.
Pong, Asteroids, Centipede, Missile Command, etc....

Strange times indeed... I really hope any company that buys one would buy them all...

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:27 AM »

wow, how do you bankrupt history itself?
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:35:17 AM »

Worth reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari

Atari is not the company you think it is. Wink

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:55:00 AM »

Atari like Polaroid and to some degree Sega is just a name. Polaroid name was bought but a whole new company owns it. SNK is not really SNK. SNK is dead but Playmore got the rights(true was former SNK talent)  SEGA was merged and absorbed by Sammy.  Atari has been a name only for nearly a couple decades.  I honestly have no feelings if the name died as well. Holds little meaning to the industry these days. SEGA name is still kept because it's IP's are still very hot sellers and very relevant. If you really think about it names like Nintendo,Capcom,Konami are pretty much what's left of the 80's game developers.
Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »

Atari like Polaroid and to some degree Sega is just a name. Polaroid name was bought but a whole new company owns it. SNK is not really SNK. SNK is dead but Playmore got the rights(true was former SNK talent)  SEGA was merged and absorbed by Sammy.  Atari has been a name only for nearly a couple decades.  I honestly have no feelings if the name died as well. Holds little meaning to the industry these days. SEGA name is still kept because it's IP's are still very hot sellers and very relevant. If you really think about it names like Nintendo,Capcom,Konami are pretty much what's left of the 80's game developers.

Kinda like how Atlus is technically Index Holdings Corp. nowadays although Atlus still develops and publishes titles.

Not really surprised that Atari is going under. They were pretty much on life support since 2007. Maybe it'll work out, who knows. I'm still pissed at Havas Entertainment and later Vivendi Universal (who bought out Havas) for killing off Sierra, one of my all-time favorite publishers back in the day.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 09:00:39 PM »

Not really surprised that Atari is going under. They were pretty much on life support since 2007. Maybe it'll work out, who knows. I'm still pissed at Havas Entertainment and later Vivendi Universal (who bought out Havas) for killing off Sierra, one of my all-time favorite publishers back in the day.

What I found weird about this entire story was that Atari USA was very profitable in the last few years! Its just the parent company (old Infogrames) that has really been hurting in that time span, and since they are the ones that own all of those IPs then they had say of what got auctioned off.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length