RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 05:24:41 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem  (Read 2275 times)
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »

I'm curious if anyone here has played this game?

First off, if you have yet to play this game STAY AWAY FROM THIS TOPIC if you plan on playing it. In fact, the best favor you can do for yourself would be to read absolutely nothing about the game and play it blind. It's also best played on older, non HD TVs's, and I can't say why without spoiling it.

So, this game has aged very poorly as far as the visuals and controls, but the story and atmosphere are still compelling enough for me to love it. Any other Eternal Darkness fans on RFG?

InvadErGII
CD-i
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:10:40 PM »

One of the best games of the last generation of games. There aren't many (if any) games that mess with the player the way Eternal Darkness does...it's really a unique and amazing experience.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:08:30 PM »

Easily one of my favorite Gamecube titles, and I disagree that it hasn't aged well. I played it waaaay after the fact and still though it was fantastic.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 12:23:57 AM »

This game is one of the only ones that ever legitimately scared me. I'm talking "I'm not getting chips because I ain't going down the dark hall way to the dark kitchen to get them" scared.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »

I never had a Gamecube until recently but the more I hear about this game the more I want to play it.

To me the scariest games I played growing up were Silent Hill and  Thief: The Dark Project.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 12:32:33 AM »

I've played this game every year since it was released and can say that it is still a relevant and frightening gaming experience.  Sure, the visuals don't seem to have the same sheen that Super Mario Sunshine and Wind Waker seem to have, but I have to disagree with you as far as the controls are concerned.  The was one of the first survival/horror experiences that made me seriously question the validity of tank controls in the genre.  In fact, I don't think I ever looked back since (though I still enjoy playing through RE 2 and 3 every once in a while).

I still get chills when the head on the bust turns to follow you down the hallway. 

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:16:50 AM »

I suggest we use spoiler tags for stuff like what you just mentioned. It will keep it a surprise for people such as sirpsycho.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:21:20 AM »

Tanks controls kick ass!

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

raffa1985
DB Contributor
Brazil

Stats
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 12:37:27 PM »

Finished it back in the day, never played it again. Good game, has a really good background plot, some nice characters and i liked the rune system mechanic. However i didn't think it was one of the best horror games ever, in my opinion Resident Evil Remake was and still is far better.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2013, 03:08:48 AM »

I've always wanted to play this, but I've never been able to find a nice, cheap copy.
Raidou
DB Reviewer
Australia

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »

This is the game that made me buy a GameCube.
slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:43:22 AM »

Tanks controls kick ass!

I think you accidentally typed 'kick' instead of 'are,' but its ok.  Wink

Tank controls are really the reason I don't go back and play many of these games, or at least don't enjoy them nearly as much.  Some gaming buddies and I started back through the RE series in anticipation of RE6, and... we just lost interest because of the controls.  Call me a wimp or heathen, I just didn't have fun.  And I played all these when they came out, so it's not a situation of a modern gamer not knowing his history.

Back to ED:SR though, it is one of my favorite games of the genre for many reasons, including how much better I found the controls and combat system compared to its contemporaries.  I never did finish all three paths to get to the true ending, though I did cheat and view it on YouTube.  And before I get blasted for doing so, I do have a legit excuse;

My initial playthrough was with my good friend Josh.  We always intended to finish it completely, but he passed away suddenly at 21.  I haven't touched our save file since.  Not that I think its haunted, or even because it is emotional, its just simply a way to honor him in my mind.

Unfortunately, I have many games I haven't played in years because of the same situation for other friends who passed away.  But I don't consider it tragic; really, I have a few personal memoirs in our media collection of time we spent together. Smiley

Keelah se'lai
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

Tanks controls kick ass!

Tank controls are really the reason I don't go back and play many of these games, or at least don't enjoy them nearly as much.  Some gaming buddies and I started back through the RE series in anticipation of RE6, and... we just lost interest because of the controls.  Call me a wimp or heathen, I just didn't have fun.  And I played all these when they came out, so it's not a situation of a modern gamer not knowing his history.

Back to ED:SR though, it is one of my favorite games of the genre for many reasons, including how much better I found the controls and combat system compared to its contemporaries.  I never did finish all three paths to get to the true ending, though I did cheat and view it on YouTube.  And before I get blasted for doing so, I do have a legit excuse;

My initial playthrough was with my good friend Josh.  We always intended to finish it completely, but he passed away suddenly at 21.  I haven't touched our save file since.  Not that I think its haunted, or even because it is emotional, its just simply a way to honor him in my mind.

Unfortunately, I have many games I haven't played in years because of the same situation for other friends who passed away.  But I don't consider it tragic; really, I have a few personal memoirs in our media collection of time we spent together. Smiley

This touched me deeply.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »

Tanks controls kick ass!

This touched me deeply.

It would be cool to go back and load up those old save files to see what you and your friend were up to back then. But maybe Eternal Darkness isn't the best game to do that with. I'd freak if that one trick that seemingly "deletes" your save file started up Smiley

And I so didn't misspeak when I said Tank Controls Kick Ass!! I really miss them. I wish they stuck around in some form.

MercuryCrusader
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 09:18:34 PM »

I remember buying the game for about $10 about a year and a half after its release. One of the better purchases I ever made, because not a few years later the price shot up to around $30 to $40. No idea what it goes for these days, but I was glad to get it as cheap as I did as early as I did.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length