RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 12:18:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Best Virtual Machine Program for Running XP? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Best Virtual Machine Program for Running XP?  (Read 3052 times)
Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« on: December 28, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »

Hey guys, I need to set up XP on a virtual machine to run old games, which program is the best for running a WinXP VM?

Here's my specs:

Here's my setup:

Intel Pentuim B960 2.2GHz
Intel HD Graphics(128MB/1632MB)
4GB RAM
Windows 8 64-Bit
Dolby Surround Sound

They're so hell-bent on giving, walking a wire
Convinced it's not living if you stand outside the fire

-Garth Brooks/Standing Outside The Fire

bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 07:26:00 PM »

VirtualBox is the only way I go for home VMs.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »

My opinion:
VMs suck. Get another PC or a second HDD or dual boot or something. I think those are all better options. Again just my opinion...

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 11:07:04 PM »

My opinion:
VMs suck. Get another PC or a second HDD or dual boot or something. I think those are all better options. Again just my opinion...

I tried Dual booting, I can't figure out how to install WinXP next to Win8, and I can't afford to but a second computer just for that.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:05 PM »

Doesn't Linux have a nice bootloader to run multiple OS's? I seem to remember it when I was messing with Ubuntu last time.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »

Doesn't Linux have a nice bootloader to run multiple OS's? I seem to remember it when I was messing with Ubuntu last time.

I have my doubts I could even work Linux, so I never tried it.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 11:34:24 PM »

Ubuntu is dead simple to install. I'm not sure about setting up the bootloader offhand.

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »

Ubuntu is dead simple to install. I'm not sure about setting up the bootloader offhand.

Can it be dual booted with Windows 8 so you don't lose your main OS?

Ghost Soldier
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:34:55 AM »

I have Ubuntu and Win 7 on my laptop.  The computer gives me the option of which OS to load after the bootup screen.  I select what I want or what a few seconds and it boots the default (win 7).  Win 8 and Ubuntu should get along just fine together.  Ubuntu takes you thru the whole setup process and allows you to select your partition size and options.  Super simple to setup and use.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 12:36:47 AM by Ghost Soldier » Logged

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 01:39:26 AM »

I mentioned having a second HDD because I use to do that. I still have 4-6 hard drives and each one should have an OS in addition to whatever files I designated that drive for so I could swap them out depending on what I needed at the time.

Definitely cheaper than another PC but I still suggest trying to figure out a dual boot. I don't remember Win8 giving me the option to keep my existing OS when I installed it though. So it might be a control freak and not as friendly as Ubuntu

Cryptid Collector
SNES
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »

I have Ubuntu and Win 7 on my laptop.  The computer gives me the option of which OS to load after the bootup screen.  I select what I want or what a few seconds and it boots the default (win 7).  Win 8 and Ubuntu should get along just fine together.  Ubuntu takes you thru the whole setup process and allows you to select your partition size and options.  Super simple to setup and use.
I might have to look into it then

I mentioned having a second HDD because I use to do that. I still have 4-6 hard drives and each one should have an OS in addition to whatever files I designated that drive for so I could swap them out depending on what I needed at the time.

Definitely cheaper than another PC but I still suggest trying to figure out a dual boot. I don't remember Win8 giving me the option to keep my existing OS when I installed it though. So it might be a control freak and not as friendly as Ubuntu
I have a laptop, so multiple HDDS would be a massive pain in the ass.

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »

What games are you looking to run?

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 09:56:27 AM »

That's because you likely have the upgrade-only version. I've dual-booted Win8 on my laptop before it died.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »

Couldn't tell you.
I wasn't overly concerned with it. Moving forward to the future is progress and all that jazz.

engel762
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »

I know with Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate editions there is a virtual pc and Windows XP mode available.  Never used it myself, nor do I know if Windows 8 has the option.  http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length