RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 10:15:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | X Box - RROD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: X Box - RROD  (Read 981 times)
SideshowSam
N-Gage

Stats
« on: December 25, 2012, 08:41:19 PM »

Sup RF!

I've been thinking of picking up an x box 360 just for kicks, as its one of the only consoles I don't have.  I'm trying to go cheap as possible (obviously) and I've been tossing around the idea of getting a CL junk box, with the red ring of death, and attempting to fix it.  I figure it could be fun anyway.

I've got a decent amount of experience with mechanical work, and I've fixed quite a few consoles, but never worked with an x box.  I've heard they can often be fixed fairly low cost, as its usually just a heat sink issue.  Does anyone have any experience with this, and in your opinion, would it be worth a shot if I could get one for >$50?
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 08:45:48 PM »

You should be able to pick one up for $30-$35 without too much effort. They're fairly easy to fix, as you mentioned, as it's usually just replacing the X-clamps ($7 worth of parts) or reflowing the motherboard (heat gun and a couple hours). However, be aware that at this stage in the console's life that most people know how to fix them, and most of the ones being sold have likely had someone tinkering with them already.

IF you can get one with an intact warranty sticker, go for it - otherwise, avoid them. I think Tynstar has a few he could likely sell you. Tongue

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:51:10 PM »

Yup, a stupid easy fix. It can be a bit of a pain getting the case apart. That's the hardest part of it all. IMO if you can't pick up a RRoD one for $25 or less just get a new one on sale.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 06:33:35 PM »

They're fairly easy to fix, as you mentioned, as it's usually just replacing the X-clamps ($7 worth of parts) or reflowing the motherboard (heat gun and a couple hours).

I always do both of these whenever I run into an RRoD anymore. Here's my advice, AVOID GAMESTOP REFURBS! I still have one album of pics out of many I've done, those bastards are terrible.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
kwvintgegmes
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:23:57 AM »

somehow I came across 50 RROD xbox 360s and I dont know a thing about them.

I posted "one" for trade online, and someone gave me a ROB for one, but it would be sweet to get some of these up and running. Do any of you know of any "good" tutorials, and where I can buy materials?
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:00:59 AM »

http://www.ifixit.com/Gui...g+of+Death+Fix+Kit/3550/1

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length