RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 10:17:00 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | TG-16 Mix and Match 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: TG-16 Mix and Match  (Read 2233 times)
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« on: December 19, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »

Did a quick search and didn't really find a definitive answer so I thought someone had to have tried this before. Can a PC Engine CD-ROM2 be connected to a TurboGrafx-16 console? I think the connectors may be different, but other than that aren't the pins the same?

No matter where you go, there you are.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:21:03 AM »

I don't know if the pins are the same. But I do know in order to play TurboGrafx-16 CD games you need the special HU card. I do know the PC Engine and TurboGrafx HU cards are the same cards but they are not interchangeable, they are region specific. So even if the CD-ROM unit did fit it wouldn't function because you need a PC Engine boot HU card which will not work on the TurboGrafx. But thats my guess.
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »

I didn't even think that the Japanese CD Drive might require a Japanese system card. It sounds like it would be a whole lot of trouble then.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 03:42:13 PM »

It's called the Super System Card. It's basically a BIOS card for the CD system.

Also the design of the units interface connectors is completely different for both systems so it will not work. The interface unit on the PC Engine sticks out a little like a Male connection for the CD-ROM unit whereas the TurboGrafx-16 is more of a Female connection for the unit. 

[img width=700 height=394]http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/RazorKnuckles/pcengine_zps4533808e.jpg[/img]

[img width=700 height=394]http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/RazorKnuckles/turbo_zps3284c50f.jpg[/img]
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 04:31:16 PM »

That's actually the connector for the system dock that holds the CD-ROM. The CD-ROM connects to this part here.

[img width=432 height=324]http://i.imgur.com/aP6Rx.jpg[/img]

That's what got me thinking it was possible, but I don't know if the pins are the same. If it needs a Japanese system card though, I'm still  not sure if it's worth the trouble. It's a very confusing system. 

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 04:38:58 PM »

Yeah I forgot it had it's own interface for he TurboGrafx-16 system. I'm more familiar with the PC Engine. Maybe it would work if the Super System card was a region free devise, unlike the games. Damn, now I really want to know. I would assume the dimensions are probably the same for the CD-ROM units. Maybe someone else may know if they got all the proper setups for the systems. Thats all I got to help you out.  

EDIT: After looking up the price of the TurboGrafx-16 CD-ROM unit I think I see why you want to know this. Would be far cheaper to get the Japan PC Engine CD-ROM unit.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 04:42:17 PM by Razor Knuckles » Logged
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 04:58:40 PM »

Yessir! I also found a thread that covers a replacement gear as well. It's got me itchin' if only my wallet was more willing.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 05:04:34 PM »

Well I hope it works out for you. I know those gears are common to go out on the systems. I've been very interested in this subject and would be nice to see someone actually try this crazy idea out. I've never heard anyone even mention something like this before. 
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 05:10:02 PM »

I'm looking around for one. I figure if it doesn't work, I can always pick up a PC Engine to go with it. Thanks for all the help.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »

The drives are completely interchangeable but the docks aren't. You also don't need a Japanese System Card; as long as you have some kind of system card it'll work.
Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 06:15:53 PM »

Excellent Thanks!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:56:16 PM »

Certainly interchangeable as you have found. Here is a seller that has some rebuilt units for sale (just got one from him myself): http://www.pcenginefx.com...s/index.php?topic=13414.0

Have fun!

Banards
Memorex VIS

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 09:32:38 PM »

Wow, thanks for the info Duke!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:47 PM »

You're welcome and good luck! I'm putting together a PC Engine setup myself to avoid the crazy costs of TG-16 system cards...

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »

I've always dug the PC Engine for some odd reason. I'm glad to hear about the CD-ROM compatibility issue being solved here. I really wish to own a PC Engine or even a TG-16 one day. Or even it's handheld counterpart.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length