RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2024, 02:15:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | NES Game Manuals with a star 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NES Game Manuals with a star  (Read 4416 times)
Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:54:24 PM »

Hey, maybe some of the variant guys around here can help me with this.  I just noticed that my Golf and Little Nemo the Dream Master manuals have a small star in the upper right hand corner.  I think Golf has NES-GF-USA  and then there is a star. Little Nemo is NES-LN-USA and then a star.  Does anyone have any idea of the significance of this?   This is the first time that I've ever noticed it and was just wondering why it is there.

Looking for CIB NES games..........even Silent Service.
I once made the mistake of smelling a NES cart.  Man, the last guy that blew in it must have had bad breath, because it smelled like a sack full of assholes.
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:58:26 PM »

Hey, maybe some of the variant guys around here can help me with this.  I just noticed that my Golf and Little Nemo the Dream Master manuals have a small star in the upper right hand corner.  I think Golf has NES-GF-USA  and then there is a star. Little Nemo is NES-LN-USA and then a star.  Does anyone have any idea of the significance of this?   This is the first time that I've ever noticed it and was just wondering why it is there.
I believe they are manual re-prints.  Have you compared the insides at all?  I'm betting something's different.  Maybe the seal of quality or something.

Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 07:10:19 PM »

No, I haven't thought of that.  That sounds very likely though.  Thanks!

I once made the mistake of smelling a NES cart.  Man, the last guy that blew in it must have had bad breath, because it smelled like a sack full of assholes.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 07:24:37 PM »

Yay! Someone took note of the manual variants!
I know that the -1, -2, et al manual variants all have differences in them, whether it be legal information or actual changes. I haven't taken the time to examine the * manuals, since I don't own two manual variants.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »

Reminds me of a RC-Pro Am variant. One has an asterisk next to the title, and one doesn't.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 08:21:59 PM »

I am almost positive i had at least one manual that was a -#* variant.
I want to say it was SMB3....

I had a couple others that were just * variants never looked into them as i had nothing to compare them with at the time.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 10:33:15 PM »

Reminds me of a RC-Pro Am variant. One has an asterisk next to the title, and one doesn't.

That's actually one of the most well-known examples.

Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 07:28:03 AM »

I believe I have seen the Kung Fu box with an asterisk at the end of Fu.  I don't have any duplicate manuals to compare them to either.

Zing
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 01:23:36 AM »

The star signifies that the warning against using the game with a projection TV is present.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

The star signifies that the warning against using the game with a projection TV is present.

Zing, where did you find that information at? Do you know when that practice started?

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:40 PM »

I can't remember the game now but years ago i submit an extra media scan for a game that had a pamphlet in it with that warning.

If there is a way for you to only show results for extra media games it would help cut down the hunt assuming my scans are still where i put them and not lost or got moved to the wrong place.

EDIT
I tried searching based on my image submissions but apparently i have never submit an image to the NES in our DB.
I LOL and sigh at how much stuff i was never tracked for.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 02:49:31 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 03:02:35 PM »

List of games in our database with Manual Variations (*) for Extra Media Scans:
Wheel of Fortune: Family Edition
Super Off Road, Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's
Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt
Jeopardy!
Infiltrator
Final Fantasy
Dr. Mario
Batman
Super Mario Bros. 3
Fast Break, Magic Johnson's
Paperboy [Round Seal]
R.C. Pro-AM (Cartridge)

Games with * Manuals that need to be "resorted" for Manual scans:
Championship Bowling
IronSword: Wizards & Warriors II
RoboCop
Goal!

EDIT: Izret, the old Extra Media scans are still in the index.txt file, not in the database. I need to get rid of that system and submit them properly, and we need to sort out the images here properly as well. However, I'm not seeing it in the old files, and I'm not seeing it in the new files either with any of the Manual Variation scans.

EDIT EDIT: Dragon Warrior doesn't have a manual variation...that's the Explorer's Handbook. I fixed that during the outage span - I'll have to revisit that.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:14:19 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »

Found my laser scope extramedia scans.
Eh maybe i'll do some dredging on the forums and see if i can turn up a thread from THE BEFORE TIME.

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »

All this talk has me curious if I have any of these.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Johnny Nintendo
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:01:33 PM »

I didn't realize I had some of these until recently.  I was going through each CIB NES game and making sure the cart, box, and manual go together.  For example, I have a Bionic Commando box with the round seal, but the cart is an oval seal.  I was checking to see if there was a way to match up the correct box with the correct manual, and I discovered the star.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length