RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2024, 11:31:35 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Can someone give me some tips for Double Dragon? 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can someone give me some tips for Double Dragon?  (Read 1606 times)
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« on: December 10, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »

Hey all. I'd like to do a playthrough showing me beating Double Dragon on the NES, but it's giving me some serious trouble. Given only 3 lives, I always lose my first one on the 2nd Mission, then get a Game Over on the 3rd. Does anyone have any tips that could help me beat it? Thank you.  Smiley

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »

Wow Double Dragon for the NES....that game will grind you up.  Lots of jump kicks, especially to Abobo, that big bald guy.

For level two, watch out for the dynamite, use the bat as long as you can, and when you get to the boss on the top of the building and the door opens up, climb back down the ladders.  There's a bug in the game where the level ends when you climb down the second ladder i think.

Not the most thorough advice I'm sure, but hey its been probably 10 years since i played it last

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:34:39 AM »

Focus on getting your score high as much as you can in the first 3 stages. Your grab and elbow are VERY useful so the quicker you get access to them the better. I found that staying on the ground and trying to hit guys the second they get into range of your kick was the safest way to take on most enemies. And use ALL the weapons to your advantage. The extra range that they all provide is very helpful.

Abobos are pretty easy using one of three methods:

1) Lots of jump kicks
2) Stay incredibly close to him and his hits will reach past you
3) Spam the elbow

2 & 3 were my favorite methods for him.

If your having trouble already though you are in for a real treat when you get to missions 4! I have no tips for the part where stone blocks jut out from the wall. I lose a lot of health there every time. Just past that section though you can abuse your throw should you have it unlocked and just toss the guys off the edge quickly. Its risky though as they could knock you into the pit too. Take the long gauntlet of baddies at the end slowly and carefully.

The only two new bad guys are going to be the machine gun guy and your clone. Use the Machine Gun Guy's slow movement to your advantage and make him walk the length of the screen so that you can use that time to close in on him instead of letting him shoot you from a range. Take your clone on the same way you treated early enemies and hit him when he is as far away as your kicks can reach. Or if you are feeling good you can get him with some elbows too.

Here is the video from when I finished it. Its only 20 minutes long and I barely pulled off a win, but hopefully it'll help.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
ReddMcKnight
Ace Jago Player
Donor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:47:38 AM »

...Take your clone on the same way...

I'm sorry, what?!

(Watches Video)

Good Lord, man! This doesn't look like one I can handle unless I spend a LOT of time practicing...

[img width=300 height=70]https://image.ibb.co/fSULkF/Signature_zpsfvzatdip.png[/img]
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:01 AM »

...Take your clone on the same way...

I'm sorry, what?!

(Watches Video)

Good Lord, man! This doesn't look like one I can handle unless I spend a LOT of time practicing...

Yeah the last mission is pretty tough. It'll take a bit of practice. If I remember correctly you've beaten Bayou Billy though and I'd only call this game slightly harder. Luckily its fairly short though so you don't have too many parts to practice.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »

The whole game is a pain in the butt.  I don't think I've ever beaten it

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 09:04:53 AM »

...didn't think it was too difficult. There are a few key strategies though. I mentioned the Abobo strats for you in the chat.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »

Just play II

When shall his new form be revealed?
Zing
N-Gage
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 08:13:07 PM »

All you have to do is punch. Punch everyone. This will level you up extremely quickly. Once you get the hair pull, it's easy. The secret to punching without getting hit? Approach the enemy at an angle. They can only hit you if you are on the same horizontal plane as them. Get a little above or below and approach them at an angle.

The Abobos go down if you use the above method, or just stand right on top of them, so their hits go past you.

The game just requires some memorization. The only hard part is the wall at the start of stage four. It's completely random. I've read several FAQs, watched several videos, and no one has a 100% method of getting past the blocks without getting hit. It must be completely random.

You don't fight your "clone" at the end of the game. It's Jimmy!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length