RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2024, 09:25:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Disc rot 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Disc rot  (Read 3629 times)
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« on: November 18, 2012, 07:47:17 PM »

I am almost positive we had a thread about this before but i can't remember if i ever supplied pics.

For those who have never seen it, I believe all 3 of our podcasters said they had not, here are some side by sides of the same game:
Madden 2005 for Xbox

http://sdrv.ms/TSmnTk

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:10:05 PM »

You're correct, I have never seen this myself in person. Very interesting, and something to be aware of before. I am pretty sure there was a post or blog about this sometime back.

Are you sure it is disc rot, or just damage to the label side?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:16:06 PM »

You're correct, I have never seen this myself in person. Very interesting, and something to be aware of before. I am pretty sure there was a post or blog about this sometime back.

Duke, I can confirm that disc rot exists, and it's not just damage. Someone on Digital Press had to replace their copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga 3 different times due to it, even going as far as ordering a NIB copy and having to replace one of the discs because it had rotted in the case. If you need, I'll find a couple discs I have lying around and use the flashlight trick to show you the pinholes that have developed in the data layer.

I've even got a few Atari 2600 cartridges that were given to me that have corroded through the pins... If anyone wants any donor carts, or needs to replace some shells, I've got 50 or so cartridges available. Tongue

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:18:49 PM »

I have lost two 360 games to Disc Rot

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »

Nope definitely rot. That is why i did the side by sides Smiley

I do have a few other discs where the data portion(whatever the metal inside the polycarbonate is) is still perfectly intact but the disc has what looks like a water stain.... i guess much like when a puddle is left on wood.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »

Disc rot?... Anyone know what causes it? I've got loads of old games discs and music CDs I'd hate to lose...

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 01:55:52 AM »

i think i actually have seen that before, possible even have a game with it but i don't think any of mine have problems working that i know of...i've seen some with what i thought was a stain of some sort, but it must have been disc rot.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 02:03:19 AM »

Disc rot?... Anyone know what causes it? I've got loads of old games discs and music CDs I'd hate to lose...

I believe the most credible theory i have heard is a problem in the manufacturing process combined with tempurature/moisture fluctuations.
Something to do with the polycarbonate not being cast correctly.

I am sure there are some instances where it is more common then others either based on numerous factors.
Production materials, environment, age are the first things that would come to mind and i would rank them in that order for the cause of failure.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:24:18 AM »

I guess I'm safe as for as moisture is concerned. Living in the driest state in the driest continent after all, but with all of the factors it sounds like luck plays the biggest part.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:26:05 AM »

I believe noise posted the article a few years ago.  I, luckily, don't have any discs with disc rot.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:33:07 AM »

I believe the most credible theory i have heard is a problem in the manufacturing process combined with tempurature/moisture fluctuations.
Something to do with the polycarbonate not being cast correctly.

I am sure there are some instances where it is more common then others either based on numerous factors.
Production materials, environment, age are the first things that would come to mind and i would rank them in that order for the cause of failure.

It's definitely related to the manufacturing process, and the use of materials. Dreamcast and Saturn games are large suspects in this, as you'll find that a lot of Dreamcast and Saturn games have these issues. Moisture and environment just accelerate any issues at all.

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »

Duke, I can confirm that disc rot exists, and it's not just damage. Someone on Digital Press had to replace their copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga 3 different times due to it, even going as far as ordering a NIB copy and having to replace one of the discs because it had rotted in the case. If you need, I'll find a couple discs I have lying around and use the flashlight trick to show you the pinholes that have developed in the data layer.

I've even got a few Atari 2600 cartridges that were given to me that have corroded through the pins... If anyone wants any donor carts, or needs to replace some shells, I've got 50 or so cartridges available. Tongue

I'm the PDS guy, I think; that was pretty much my story.   Sad

And... I'll just leave this here.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...llers-and-Buyers-1337.php

Keelah se'lai
Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »

A bit of an odd suggestion maybe, but regarding the pinholes...

In a factory pressed disc, the reflective foil doesn't technically contain the actual game data. It just reflect the laser back, the data is stored in the grooves of the plastic. Assuming that it's really just the foil layer 'rotting' and developing pinholes, and not say an actual nick on the surface layer (damaging the plastic underneath as well as the foil layer), couldn't you theoretically find something similarly reflective and just "fill in" the pinholes? I have no idea what you'd use to do that, though.

I mean if a disc is seemingly damaged beyond repair anyway, it can't hurt to try.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 10:04:33 AM by Quackula » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »

In a factory pressed disc, the reflective foil doesn't technically contain the actual game data. It just reflect the laser back, the data is stored in the grooves of the plastic. Assuming that it's really just the foil layer 'rotting' and developing pinholes, and not say an actual nick on the surface layer (damaging the plastic underneath as well as the foil layer), couldn't you theoretically find something similarly reflective and just "fill in" the pinholes?

I mean if a disc is seemingly damaged beyond repair anyway, it can't hurt to try.

That only helps to prevent disc read errors - it doesn't prevent data loss. We do similar things here at work, and I've done similar things with my credit card to prevent it from erroring out at the register by filling it in with permanent marker.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »

In a factory pressed disc, the reflective foil doesn't technically contain the actual game data. It just reflect the laser back, the data is stored in the grooves of the plastic. Assuming that it's really just the foil layer 'rotting' and developing pinholes, and not say an actual nick on the surface layer (damaging the plastic underneath as well as the foil layer), couldn't you theoretically find something similarly reflective and just "fill in" the pinholes?

That only helps to prevent disc read errors - it doesn't prevent data loss. We do similar things here at work, and I've done similar things with my credit card to prevent it from erroring out at the register by filling it in with permanent marker.

My question is if the data is actually 'lost' if the foil layer is actually rotting as opposed to top layer damage.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length