RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 04:30:15 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | New Sega Genesis? Sorta 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Sega Genesis? Sorta  (Read 2406 times)
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »

Looks like the Atari Flashback makers are at it again, but this time with the Genesis:

[img width=491 height=362]http://adscans.bfads.net/a/995/i_Toys-R-Us_2012_Sega-Genesis-Classic-Game-Cons_1352485759.jpg[/img]

Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 09:49:38 PM »

That's actually kind of cool. I like the idea behind these consoles and I think it's a good way to expose younger gamers to the Atari/Genesis eras and their games.

And those who once owned an Atari or Genesis will probably get a kick out of these too.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Munter
N-Gage
Japan

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:46:40 PM »

I think it's super awesome that it will have a cartridge slot and be able to play Genesis carts. The only other console like that I have seen didn't have one. And only ran on batteries for some fucked up reason.
ixtaileddemonfox
Weapon X
TurboGrafx-16

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 12:04:40 AM »

That is slick I'm getting my boys one for christmas

Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:10:15 AM »

I actually have one, it's an older version though it looks the same. It's not bad for what it is but it will never replace the actual hardware. The one thing I don't like about it is that the carts don't want to come out of the console.

bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »

[img width=216 height=251]http://files.myopera.com/jobothan/albums/15970/Beavis.gif#Beavis%20Boing%20216x251[/img]

Boi-oi-oi-oi-oing!!

It'll never replace the system in my Man Cave, but it'll look great next to the Atari Flashback in my living room.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:09:10 AM »

Neat.

I recall a Sega plug-and-play deal released some time back that resembled a Genesis controller, and had about 5 games on it. But this one's in another league altogether.

I wonder if they'll release a limited-edition version that resembles a full Genesis-Sega CD-32x combo, and includes games from all those systems. Wouldn't that be just peachy-keen? I wouldn't put it past 'em...
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:36:32 PM »

I see these things more as a joke. Yeah their novelty items but nothing beats the real thing. Hell I can find the real systems for cheaper than these things.

I have a fair bit of plug n' plays myself and they all suffer from the same emulation error, HORRIBLE SOUND! Makes my ears bleed. And the colors are usually slightly off.

But in all honesty I do want someone to make a Sega Game Gear clone. The Game Gear hasn't withstood the test of time very well. The screen gets pretty blurry when things move fast and the battery life on the Game Gear is pretty bad by todays standards.  

Even a cheap Game Gear knockoff would most likely be better than the real thing.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »

Now that you mention it I think that's a pretty cool idea. Maybe something along the lines of the Supa Boy that could also take Game Gear carts.

You're on to something here.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:51:59 PM »

word. I love Game Gear games, but the hardware is terrible. I always wished there was an adapter to play GG games via Genesis. :\

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 10:50:08 PM »

the battery life isn't a problem if you can get your hands on the right AC adapter, but the screen is definitely crap
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:06 PM »

It's not a true Genesis until you throw a 32X + Game Genie + Sonic & Knuckles on there.

Speaking of 32X it is 18 years old today.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »

[img width=423 height=543]http://www.abccakeshop.com/uploads/Hawaiian_18th_birthday_cake1.jpg[/img]

A beautiful birthday cake for a beautiful system Smiley

That Sega flashback thingie is only $25/$50.  Not too bad of a price, maybe i'll pick it up.  Now, waiting for the 32x Flashback....

Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »

There's also a thread on neogaf regrading the 32x's birthday:

http://www.neogaf.com/for...m/showthread.php?t=499820

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:51 PM »

Sad not too many folks in that thread are big fans of my baby

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length