RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2024, 05:15:11 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Targets Star Wars: Episode 7 for 2015 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4B, Targets Star Wars: Episode 7 for 2015  (Read 4067 times)
Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« on: October 31, 2012, 03:37:53 AM »

In a move sure to shock fans of the Mouse House and George Lucas, the Walt Disney Company said Tuesday it has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in cash and stock. The company also announced that it is prepping Star Wars: Episode 7 for release in 2015.

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” Lucas, the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm, said in a press release announcing the acquisition. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”

With the acquisition, Disney adds one of the world’s most enduring — and most profitable — sci-fi franchises to its ever-expanding stable. Disney, which has grown from humble animation company to massive media brand, successfully roped in Pixar in 2006 and bought Marvel Entertainment in 2009 (also for a $4 billion price tag). Buying Lucasfilm, Disney chairman Robert Iger said, was in line with the Marvel acquisition: The move essentially means Disney has cornered the market on superhero and sci-fi/fantasy films.

In a conference call with investors, Iger called Lucas a “true visionary” and applauded him for building a “company at the intersection of entertainment and technology.” As part of the deal, Disney will also take control of Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound. But the most lucrative part of the deal has to be the Star Wars brand, and to that end Disney announced it would be releasing a new film from the franchise in 2015, with more to follow.

“We believe we can do great things with these amazing assets” Iger said.

Under the agreement, Kathleen Kennedy, Steven Spielberg’s producing partner who was named co-chair of Lucasfilm in June, will become president of the company within Disney. Lucas has been discussing retirement in recent months, particularly when Kennedy’s position was announced, and even though Iger noted that Lucas will stay on as an adviser for the new Star Wars trilogy, he is moving forward toward retirement.

“This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value” Iger said in a statement.

The boards of both Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the acquisition, but it is still subject to clearance under U.S. and international business regulations.

[img width=450 height=271]http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/underwire/2012/10/Disney_Lucasfilm_4501.jpg[/img]

Source: http://www.wired.com/unde...10/disney-buys-lucasfilm/

Munter
N-Gage
Japan

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 05:29:51 AM »

I feel a great disturbance in the force

No, seriously. Anyone else have a bad feeling about this? Like our most cherished childhood memories are about to get shit all over
Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 07:59:12 AM »

Well, I think it can't be worse than the things Lucas already did it laugh

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 03:44:49 PM »

Sale included Lucas Arts.
So maybe Disney can make another Indiana Jones movie too?  vomit

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »

Totally this. Don't care. Franchise has been raped for profit a zillion times already, who cares if its someone else doing it. You'll still all go see it and I probably will too.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:30:13 PM »

Super Smash Bros. Disney: Episode VII - may the force be with you!

Clone trooper vs Stitch .... who will win?
cverz2
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 08:48:12 PM »

As someone who has been a star wars fan since I was old enough to walk.  I am not sure how I feel about this.  I have always loved Disney as well.  But not sure how they will fit together.  Nevertheless I will go to the Theater and watch Star Wars VII.  It will drive me crazy waiting for it. Kind of like " The Hobbit "
James
King of Waffle
Donor
United Kingdom

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 11:57:47 PM »

Maybe George Lucas will have less influence over the movies now. We can only hope.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:47:03 AM »

Hurry buy star wars before Disney locks it in the vault until the next anniversary.

Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »

George Lucas Will Use Disney $4 Billion to Fund Education

Spokesperson for Lucasfilm tells THR the majority of the sale price will go toward educational philanthropy.

By the end of the year, the $4.05 billion sale of Lucasfilm to Disney should be finalized. And since George Lucas owns 100 percent of his company -- which has little to no debt -- all that money goes to him.

After that, Lucas plans to quickly put the bulk of the money into a foundation that will primarily focus on educational issues, a spokesperson for Lucasfilm tells THR.

“George Lucas has expressed his intention, in the event the deal closes, to donate the majority of the proceeds to his philanthropic endeavors.”

It's not yet clear which foundation will get the proceeds. Lucas is currently the chairman of Edutopia, which is part of the George Lucas Educational Foundation. He could put money into that or create a new foundation that would be funded from the sale.

The Foundation was the vehicle Lucas used to make a $175 million donation to his alma mater USC in 2006. He has also given to many other causes over the years including the Film Foundation, Stand Up to Cancer and the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

“For 41 years, the majority of my time and money has been put into the company,” Lucas said in a statement Wednesday. “As I start a new chapter in my life, it is gratifying that I have the opportunity to devote more time and resources to philanthropy.”

The spokesperson noted that this “announcement continues a commitment that Lucas made in 2010 to The Giving Pledge, where he stated,  'I am dedicating the majority of my wealth to improving education. It is the key to the survival of the human race. We have to plan for our collective future -- and the first step begins with social, emotional and intellectual tools we provide to our children. As humans, our greatest tool for survival is our ability to think and to adapt -- as educators, storytellers and communicators, our responsibility is to continue to do so.’”

Source: http://www.hollywoodrepor...-george-lucas-will-384947

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 07:32:12 AM »

Hurry buy star wars before Disney locks it in the vault until the next anniversary.

I'm seriously thinking about this right now.  The Disney tax is heavier than the Lucas tax, and I don't want to pay $20 per blu-ray.

At least this video is free.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:49:40 AM by OatBob » Logged

it's thinking
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »

For a moment there, I thought the thread headline read,

Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $48, Targets Star Wars: Episode 7 for 2015

I woulda put up a $50 bid right away if that were the case.

Instead, I have to make an optometrist appointment to update my prescription lenses.

My thoughts on this: I'll reserve judgment on the deal until I actually see this new Star Wars they're talking about.
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 11:09:00 AM »

Totally this. Don't care. Franchise has been raped for profit a zillion times already, who cares if its someone else doing it. You'll still all go see it and I probably will too.

This

aaaaannnndddd

this

Maybe George Lucas will have less influence over the movies now. We can only hope.

I don't have a huge problem with this because I don't think that Star Wars is suddenly going to become any worse, and my enjoyment of the original trilogy certainly won't change any time soon.
Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 11:16:41 AM »

My worst fear for Star Wars new episodes:

[img width=480 height=353]http://i.imgur.com/0Rekj.jpg[/img]

hXd
Algebraic!
SNES
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »

R.I.P Star Wars. It was nice knowing you.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length