RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2024, 09:28:13 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | VGCL Mobile Edition - Need Feedback 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VGCL Mobile Edition - Need Feedback  (Read 1861 times)
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« on: October 01, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »

Hello again all.

Since the feedback was so helpful the last time I asked, I was hoping again to tap into the collective on a Mobile version of my website.

The purpose of this edition would be to serve as a pocket console reference guide.  I am not using any java at all within the mobile version nor am opening any links in a new window\tab to ensure ease of navigation and low data\battery drain.  Large buttons are utilized to ensure that it is easy to navigate.   I am thinking I will add a very light gray color to the inside container of the console buttons to break up the white a bit.  The test pages....

The following page would be the main introduction and interface.  Clicking a tab would display the consoles for the respective decade.
http://www.videogameconso...rary.com/temp-m-index.htm

The Bally Professional Arcade (located under the 1970s tab) is my test console page.  The link is coded, but here is the direct web page:
http://www.videogameconso...com/temp-m-pg70-bally.htm

Access to this Mobile site would be located somewhere in the header of each page on my main website (I am not planning on using auto-detection to redirect visitors based on screen res).  My questions:

o Does the information display properly?
o Is the interface easy to navigate?
o Are the fonts used large enough and easy to read?
o Is the design intuitive?
o Would you recommend adding any more information to the console page?
o Are there any other suggestions to improve the overall design\navigation\functionality?
o What phone\device\browser are you using to test the pages?

For comparison sake, I have attached some compressed pictures of how I would like VGCL Mobile to display for the end user. 

As always, candid comments are always appreciated.  Thanks in advance all!!

Terry

* vgcl-mobile-main.jpg (40.66 KB, 248x496 - viewed 172 times.)

* vgcl-mobile-1970s_index.jpg (37.66 KB, 248x611 - viewed 172 times.)

* vgcl-mobile-bally.jpg (61.67 KB, 248x808 - viewed 158 times.)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:35:19 PM by Marriott_Guy » Logged

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »

I'll be sure to give this a look when I get home tonight. The idea seems really great.

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »

Thanks Duke for checking it out.  Looking forward to your thoughts.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 04:12:27 PM »

Loaded it up on my phone so I'll try to answer your questions best I can:

o Does the information display properly?

A: Yes

A:Very much so

A:Absolutely. I've been to several other mobile versions of my favorite sites and nearly always have to zoom in/out to find a readable/navigable size. You seem to have found a nice way to present things so that I can read the information easily and dont have to mess around with the screen too much to find links and additional info.

A: I'm still very new and inexperienced with these kinds of devices and it seemed very obvious to me. I'd say its pretty great.

A:I can understand the idea of keeping it short and sweet for what most people will probably use your site for on a mobile device. Just make sure that if I need some extra info to make it easy and obvious to get to.

o Are there any other suggestions to improve the overall design\navigation\functionality?

Like I mentioned above, I'm still new to mobile devices. I found the pages to be attractive, well suited for a quick overview of the console, and easy to read and navigate. Nothing jumps out at me as "missing" right off the bat. I'll be sure to let you know if I think of something though.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 04:17:23 PM »

I love how you have a button for accessing the full site.  Sometimes its nice to be able to view the full site on the go.  I like the design of the mobile site as well.
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

Thanks for the great feedback Crab!  A suggestion from one of my team members I believe reflects one of your comments:

"Just make sure that if I need some extra info to make it easy and obvious to get to."

Currently, the "View Full Website" just sends you to the main front page.  I think you may also be suggesting a button link be provided to go to the individual page for a particular console.

Let me know if this is accurate.

Thanks again!

Terry
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 04:37:18 PM by Marriott_Guy » Logged

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 04:32:23 PM »

I love how you have a button for accessing the full site.  Sometimes its nice to be able to view the full site on the go.  I like the design of the mobile site as well.

Thanks bl!  Though not a programming guru, I tried to incorporate the suggestions from various internet sources to ensure that it is easy to navigate (i.e. don't let users scroll to a dead end, use buttons and not text links, etc.) while not taxing on bandwidth nor battery life of the mobile device.

Thanks bl for your thoughts!

Terry

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 04:36:10 PM »

Based on the responses, I am adding a questions regarding the device being used to my initial inquiry.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »

Based on the responses, I am adding a questions regarding the device being used to my initial inquiry.

I am using a Motorola Droid Bionic.  As for its web browser, I use Dolphin.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »

Thanks for the great feedback Crab!  A suggestion from one of my team members I believe reflects one of your comments:

"Just make sure that if I need some extra info to make it easy and obvious to get to."

Currently, the "View Full Website" just sends you to the main front page.  I think you may also be suggesting a button link be provided to go to the individual page for a particular console.

Let me know if this is accurate.

Thanks again!

Terry

Yeah I was referring to a link that would give me the full run down on the console that I am currently viewing. Its really bothersome on a couple other sites I look at on my phone when I click full site and it bumps me back to the mainpage and out of whatever I was browsing at the time. That feature would be awesome.

The device I was on was a Samsung Galaxy w I think its called.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »

OK, I just tried it on my iPhone 3GS (I'll have a 4 in a week or so and can test again if necessary)

Does the information display properly?

A: Yes, but I had to zoom in to get the page to be readable. It would be nice if it started at the width of the text box, but I have no idea if that is possible.

A: Yes, it seems really easy.

A: Once I zoomed the page to the proper width, everything was easy to read.

A: Again, besides needing to zoom in each time, it made good sense to me.

A: It seems to cover the basics well enough. How about a rarity rating?

A: Nothing that I can think of at the moment. Great job Terry!

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »

Duke - I am not sure what the "text box" is that I should target in changing the resolution of the page.  The page is currently set to display in percentages (images/table width).  My goal is to not have to make the user zoom at all (not sure if this is possible or not).  Can you provide a screen shot or elaborate so that I can modify to ensure easy navigation with out the need to perform any zooming?

Thanks Duke!

Terry

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »

Here is what it looks like when I load the page (using Chrome):
[img width=320 height=480]http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/jackcrow2000/file-21.jpg[/img]

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 07:56:08 PM »

Thanks Duke for the SS.  I am not sure why it is not stretching to fit the horizontal screen res.  Maybe if I remove the BG image and change it to a basic black color it might correctly fill the real estate without having to accommodate the BG image.  Just a thought - not sure if that is the reason all.

Any one else have any ideas on this?

Terry

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length