RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 04:25:06 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | A month of damn good luck 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A month of damn good luck  (Read 1719 times)
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:51:39 PM »

This will be a bit of a read, but luckily there's pics to it, at least Smiley

First off, I live in Houston, which it's hard to get around here without a car.  Mine's out of commission right now.  There's many resale places around here though when you can get around though, although at times I'd go to them here and there over the years to either not finding much, or I wouldn't have money or the room to store them from where I'm living right now.

Well, I had a month of some pretty good luck from July - August.  Lets have a look!

For non-gaming stuff, I got Thank You for Smoking, a really underrated, very funny comedy for only $3 at one place.  This instantly became my all-time favorite comedy, although with pretty bad language.  Still very brilliant though.  I need to read the book at some point.

One thing that was REALLY lucky was that, with my car out of commission right now, I had my dad's car for this month while he was out of town.  The blasted Check Engine light came on after a few days, which was about 10 scary days where the dealer couldn't see it (due to flooding and there were a ton of "flood cars" ahead of it).  So that was over a week of barely going anywhere at all.  I had to feed my sister's cats while she was out of town, one evening where I couldn't go because the car was at the dealer's.  Luckily I was able to take the bus there the next morning and feed them, I got the car back by the afternoon, and the day before was the only time they only got one meal (all other days they were fed twice like I was supposed to).

The day after that was a sale since a guy was selling his house.  He used to run a sci-fi store out of it (!).  What was insanely lucky was that he started the sale several nights before, it started raining, so he had to close up shop just as soon as it started.  If he had done it any earlier when the car was in the shop I would have missed him.  Out of this ALONE I got:

*Star Wars R2-D2 figure
*3P0 figure
*Battle Droid figure (all of these unopened)
*Mr. Richfield figure from Dinosaurs tv show (which Sherman Helmsley [sp?] had just died not long before, R. I. P....slightly opened, but now I've got him, Baby and Earl Smiley )
*Evil Dead four button set
*Finally, a video game: PC Centipede remake, 1998.  Not bad.
*My Super Ex-Girlfriend DVD (don't really like until the last half hour)

All for a whopping $13  Grin

At a nearby resale shop (walking distance, which I'll be going there tomorrow or Monday, since it won't be real hot), I got a cd of mostly copyright-free clipart.  Coming from a guy who could use images for YouTube presentations to give people something to look at while I'm blabbing (since I don't have a camera), this is pretty good for $2, as they usually cost $50-120 new, maybe even more.  (It would've been $2.09 or $2.07 or whatever, but the guy ahead of me bought $20something worth of clothes with a hundred dollar bill [!], so the cashier gave both of us a break since she had just been cleaned out!)

Back to the store where I got Smoking was F-19 Stealth Fighter...from 1988 or 1989, from Microprose.  YESSSS!  I miss seeing these old 5" floppy games.  Still works too!!  I think.  The files loaded up, but you need the original disks to run; a copy won't work.  My old 486 just has a 3" drive.  I'll get a 5" drive from a computer place eventually.  It has everything except the instructions!  But there's no rush there since replacementdocs.com has it but I'd have to request it and hope they get it up; I'll do that once I get a 5" drive.  Still a great find though--for only 75 cents!--especially since it seems to have everything else, including a freakin' catalog!  Wow...maps too, of enemy territory and such from the game.

I also got a replacement Sega 32X from there.  No price.  The cashier told me to go inside to ask the guy there how much.  He's looking over and over it...c'mon...I don't really need to spend any more money, but..."two dollars.  Is that ok?" ARE YOU SERIOUS?!  The box alone was worth that much!  It's missing the plates and I think the power supply but I've got everything else.  Funny thing is that it has the RF box too, which I needed last summer when I got three Sega Genesis' at one place, games, a Targus bag, some other stuff, all for $20.  I kept the original Genny but the Genny 2 models work on a different power supply than the original, but it's the same one as the 32X.  So I plugged that in and the light came on both, confirming that they worked.  The RF box that came with it had it's wire cut so I didn't know how the picture was.  I cleaned them up pretty decently and sold them to a friend in Jersey.  He confirmed one worked but the other one he'd have to try a few things to get it to work.  No biggie.  Now I need a spare Sega CD and all my Sega stuff's backed up Smiley

And last but not least I got a big poster of some hottie for only a dollar too at one other place.  Yum...

Ok, finally, pics!

[img width=579 height=771]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darrylb/miscellaneous/allhaul.jpg[/img]

Everything at a glance...and all for less than $23 total!

[img width=700 height=371]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darrylb/miscellaneous/f19noteoverlayreturns.jpg[/img]

Some F19 stuff, including hand-written note about...something or other

[img width=480 height=655]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darrylb/miscellaneous/f19catalog.jpg[/img]

Catalog, which it looks better due to no flash glare, since it's still in really good shape

[img width=448 height=519]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v467/darrylb/miscellaneous/beerhottie.jpg[/img]

The hottie by herself, because...well, she's hot Smiley

Well hope you enjoyed, I sure did!

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:00:48 PM »

First off, welcome! I hear that Texas and Arkansas are really great places to find items.

For non-gaming stuff, I got Thank You for Smoking, a really underrated, very funny comedy for only $3 at one place.

But is it as good a movie as say... Sleepers? Wink

I'll get a 5" drive from a computer place eventually.

I'm pretty sure I have one sitting about if you have trouble finding one.

I also got a replacement Sega 32X from there.

The 32x'ers are taking over around here. Are these things just coming out of the woodwork lately?

Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »

First off, welcome!

Thanks!

I hear that Texas and Arkansas are really great places to find items.

Yes, Texas is pretty good.  I have an aunt and uncle in Louisiana, and when my grandparents/the uncle's parents passed away, when mom mentioned that he could sell some of their stuff at resale shops (i. e. furniture that they didn't have room for), he didn't seem to know what she was talking about.  But Mangham, Louisiana (where they lived) is a small town.  So's Monroe, where he lives.  In some places they just don't work, I suppose.

For non-gaming stuff, I got Thank You for Smoking, a really underrated, very funny comedy for only $3 at one place.

But is it as good a movie as say... Sleepers? Wink

Dunno, hadn't seen that one yet Smiley

I'll get a 5" drive from a computer place eventually.

I'm pretty sure I have one sitting about if you have trouble finding one.

Thanks, I know of a place here that should have one, I'm just not working right now (hence why I said at one point in the post I didn't need to be spending any more money!).  And it's nothing real mandatory.

The 32x'ers are taking over around here. Are these things just coming out of the woodwork lately?

Dunno, I only get out sporadically for things of this nature.

BTW, one thing maybe I didn't make clear on the post was in regards to the three Genesis' I got last summer, two of them were the model 2's (that I sold to my friend), one was the original one, which I kept and is working.  All I had to do was clean it up, as it seemed to not work at first.  All the stuff was pretty dirty.  Bet it was from some idiot ex-owner who was like "it doesn't work!  I'll sell it for cash!" Yeah, suuuuure...

nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 03:13:04 PM »

F-19 Stealth Fighter, I remember looking at that game for sale all the time when it was out. I never bought it but always wanted it. Good job finding that.

And judging by your name and signature you are a fan of vector stuff, always welcome here in my book.
Vectorguy
Jaguar CD
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »

F-19 Stealth Fighter, I remember looking at that game for sale all the time when it was out. I never bought it but always wanted it. Good job finding that.

Yeah, I miss seeing those old games at the thrifts.  Even if they don't work!

And judging by your name and signature you are a fan of vector stuff,

Is that what gave it away?! Wink

always welcome here in my book.

Thanks!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length