RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 03:12:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | New PS3 Slim model 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: New PS3 Slim model  (Read 1200 times)
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »

The new model is 25% smaller and 20% lighter than the current PS3 (itself a redesign from the original version), and will come in two flavours: 250GB and 500GB. It'll also be available in two colours, white and black. The black console will be out on in Japan October 4, while the white model will be out on November 22.

It's the PStriple! Grin But honestly, what's the point of making it even smaller? Were some people holding back for a PS3 because the last version was too big? Regardless, I still call the design a fail, with that curved top. I prefer simple boxes that can be stacked, like AV equipment and DVD players. And matte, while we're at it. I never understood the world's admiration with piano black glossy finishes that show fingerprints and dust within minutes. I still think the original PS2 had a far better design than any of the PS3's.

* PStriple.jpg (84.05 KB, 960x540 - viewed 200 times.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 10:06:30 AM by Sirgin » Logged
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:22:55 AM »

There's apparently another version of that...

Available only in Europe, Hong Kong and Australasia, and replacing the 250GB model available elsewhere, this particular PS3 will instead pack 12GB of flash memory, turning it into the PlayStation's rough equivalent of the Xbox 360's 4GB version. The 500GB version will still be available in those territories.

Those purchasing the 12GB model will still be able to upgrade and drop a HDD in there later; the only change is that when they do, that 12GB will no longer be available for internal storage.

This HDD-less PS3 will be released on September 27 in Australia and October 12 in Europe. It'll be priced at €229 / AUD$300.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:59:31 PM »

I'm sure it done just to lower production costs. I do like the look of this more than the current slim.

Link41
The King of Hyrule
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »

Is this a top loader like the PS2 slim was?

Deafens Proner
Sega Genesis
Brazil

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »

Cute ... I wonder if they will release this one in Brazil Smiley

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »

I'm sure it done just to lower production costs.

This.  Sony has redesigned the PS3 slim multiple times (internally), so this new Super Slim should hopefully run on smaller processors and run cooler.  I saw an unboxing video, and the disc drive is actually pretty neat.  I think it looks pretty ugly with the cardboard-like texture on the top, so I think I'll be getting a late model Slim if they drop in price.
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 05:53:46 PM »

So these things were already fingerprint magnets, so they put a dust magnet right on top now too? I thought grooves on a console died in the 90's.
Regardless, I still call the design a fail, with that curved top. I prefer simple boxes that can be stacked, like AV equipment and DVD players.
I believe the reason is that they don't want you stacking equipment. Stacking just reduces airflow and traps more heat, making an overheated console all the more likely. DVD players and audio equipment generally don't put out the same amount of heat so its safer to stack them.

Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 07:50:37 PM »

If I was in the market for a new console and the Wii U wasn't just around the corner. I probably would have finally gotten one of these with this latest model.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length