RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 05:22:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | VGCL 2.0 - Need Feedback 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: VGCL 2.0 - Need Feedback  (Read 2515 times)
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« on: September 04, 2012, 06:52:29 PM »

Hello all.

I know I have been a bit quiet on the forums as of late, but life has been hectic and demanding.  I have been squeaking in some time over the last three months to redesign my website.  I would appreciate your feedback on the new look, navigation (top menu\ console page tabs) and the overall appeal of the new layout.  The details:

Main Website:
   http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com

More information on the changes and the improvements (or so I hope):
   http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/blog/?p=891

As always, candid thoughts are always appreciated.  Thanks in advance everyone.

Terry

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 07:01:43 PM »

Immediate things I noticed:
* Background/Frame look dated. The tiled images take away focus from the articles/pages.
* Hovering over the dates is nice, but the dropdowns are too sticky. They take too long to disappear.
* History/Reference links broken on Articles.
* Banner needs an update, or selectable links. It looks like Reviews/Ratings/etc. can be clicked, but all take you to the index page.

That's all I've got for now without drilling down.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 07:06:05 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 07:18:23 PM »

Great candid thoughts SK - exactly what I was looking for!  Response:

SK: Background/Frame look dated. The tiled images take away focus from the articles/pages.
MG:  Agreed - we need to change the BG tile.

SK: Hovering over the dates is nice, but the dropdowns are too sticky. They take too long to disappear.
MG: You are right - I need to cut down on that time a bit.

SK: History/Reference links broken on Articles
MG: That is supposed to be a header title, rather than a link.  I can see exactly what you are talking about since everything else listed in the menu is a link.

SK: Banner needs an update, or selectable links. It looks like Reviews/Ratings/etc. can be clicked, but all take you to the index page.
MG: Great minds think alike - the top banner does need an overhaul.

Thanks Shadow for the feedback - it is sincerely appreciated.
Keep 'em coming RFG!

Terry

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:56:29 PM »

one minor thing i noticed in the site description on the homepage is the link to the site overview page is on the word "here". i remember reading somewhere that that's a no-no in web design and i agree, it just seems like the easy way out in making a link. i'd suggest trying something like this (link in quotes):

Want to know more about the content and how it's organized? check out our "Site Overview".

might be a better way to word it but off the top of my head that's the best i can think of Tongue
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 04:53:02 PM »

I'll edit this post later as I note things, but first off on this page: http://www.videogameconso...80-famicom.htm#page=links - under the iFixIt link it says 32x instead of Famicom.

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »

I'll edit this post later as I note things, but first off on this page: http://www.videogameconso...80-famicom.htm#page=links - under the iFixIt link it says 32x instead of Famicom.
Thanks for picking up on that.  Correction made.

one minor thing i noticed in the site description on the homepage is the link to the site overview page is on the word "here". i remember reading somewhere that that's a no-no in web design and i agree, it just seems like the easy way out in making a link. i'd suggest trying something like this (link in quotes):

Want to know more about the content and how it's organized? check out our "Site Overview".

might be a better way to word it but off the top of my head that's the best i can think of Tongue

Great point tech.  I made a quick adjustment to the front page.

Working on the banner and menu at the moment.  Hopefully will complete the edits this evening.  If anyone else sees something that is not user friendly or odd, please do let me know.

Thanks again all!

Terry

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »

Quick question - does everyone else agree that the BG tiles image detracts from the page contents?  I can darken it a bit, but I am not sure if that is part of our "schtick" and might need to stay in some form.

Terry

PS.  Attached is a sample of what I am thinking about for the new banner (which would be aligned to the left).

* vgcl-2-test.png (17.75 KB, 444x87 - viewed 186 times.)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 04:42:03 PM by Marriott_Guy » Logged

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »

that would probably look better, you could even do something sort of like RFG has with "the classic and modern video game database" in the top right using your "reviews\rating\pictures\technical". it might not work as well though because it's not a slogan like RFG's, but maybe it could be reworked a bit to fit the idea. unless you don't care for that part of the title, because it would look good with just the top left title/logo.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

That banner looks better, though I feel it's missing something still.

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 05:25:48 PM »

that would probably look better, you could even do something sort of like RFG has with "the classic and modern video game database" in the top right using your "reviews\rating\pictures\technical". it might not work as well though because it's not a slogan like RFG's, but maybe it could be reworked a bit to fit the idea. unless you don't care for that part of the title, because it would look good with just the top left title/logo.

I am toying around with moving the search bar to the far right to balance it.  This would also give me more room for expanded content/menu items.  Testing it out now.

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »

Here is what I am coming up for as a base for the top banner that would include the site search bar:

* vgcl-test-14.jpg (121.42 KB, 1006x349 - viewed 184 times.)

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »

Messed around with some different background images.  Attached is a screenshot using a generic tech image.  Does this (or some variation) work better?

* vgcl-test-2.jpg (104.41 KB, 1005x345 - viewed 181 times.)

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »

That doesn't seem as dated - maybe it's the lack of neutral tone colors?

Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 10:18:50 AM »

SK: Can you expand on that a bit (neutral tone colors)?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 10:32:45 AM »

SK: Can you expand on that a bit (neutral tone colors)?

There's a large shock of white in the center of the page, but with the toned down color as the background with the books (which, besides looking like possible ClipArt from the 90s, doesn't seem to go with the theme of the page. I honestly don't mean for that statement to sound like it does when I read, but you asked for an honest opinion  Undecided), it feels like it tones down the page as a whole, which is what neutral colors are supposed to do in a house. Instead, I feel you need something with color (like the proposed background you have...which, while still generic art, doesn't look as dated) to make the entire page "pop", for lack of a better word.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length