RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2024, 03:21:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Best way to record video game video from older consoles? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Best way to record video game video from older consoles?  (Read 2451 times)
Malingo
Donor
Sweden

Stats
« on: September 02, 2012, 04:32:24 AM »

Hello folks.

Im looking for good (and easy) ways to record my gameplay. (to then be able to upload the videos to youtube for example).
I have no trouble with editing videos or uploading them. Im comfortable with that stuff, but its the recording part I would like to get some advice/help/ideas with if you got any. Im lost when it comes to recording video nowadays.

Are there any simple and comfortable ways to record video from SMS/NES/SNES/Sega Mega Drive/Genesis?
Currently I use a "hauppauge hd pvr" to record some stuff, but it does not work well with older consoles. (The audio drift and get corrupted after 5 - 10 minutes of recording). So my current workaround is to start and stop the recorder every 5-10 minutes (usually after i finish a stage in whatever game im playing).
Not Comfortable! Wink

Would, for example a "DVD Recorder" do the job? Would there be trouble finding one that can handle the input cables from older consoles? Would that be easily fixed using adaptors for example?

Of course I guess it would be possible to record using some cables and a software on the PC. BUT! Then we add those "uncomfortable" elements again i guess. Does the software work with my hardware? do i have the right settings? can i record for an hour without the filesize being to large to handle? are my audio drivers compatible? etc. etc. Not Comfortable Wink

I guess these might sound like simple questions, and I know there are a lot of ways to record. The key word here is "comfortable". My dream scenario is to start the "recorder", sit back and relax and play the game for a long time and dont have to worry about the recorder...
Any thoughts from anyone recording gameplay in here from the good old 8bit/16bit consoles?

/Malingo
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:17:24 AM »

i just recently bought the hauppauge hd pvr too, disappointed to find out after that it doesn't record anything older than the gamecube/ps2/xbox era well. i've heard the dvd recorder idea and that's probably the way to go. i wouldn't recommend a computer tv tuner unless you get a really high end one that you know would work well and have a computer that can handle it. i have one and it couldn't play anything, not even nes, without a lot of lag. and my computer can handle most things well (crysis on max, battlefield 3 near max 1920x1080 at 100 fps+ etc).
Malingo
Donor
Sweden

Stats
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »

Thanks for the input.
Yeah. The hauppauge is a really nice tool when it comes to the newer consoles.
Hmm, i guess i would need to start searching for a suitable dvd recorder then.
Would love to hear more thoughts from other people recording out there first though Smiley
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:51:21 AM by Malingo » Logged
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »

My setup might suit your needs.

Just hookup your NES/SNES/SMS/GEN to a TV with a audio/video output. Send the output signal to your recording hardware (I use a VHS to DVD box). Hookup your recording hardware to a nearby computer or laptop. Play game and record video on said laptop. I get to do all my recording on the comfort of a couch Smiley

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Malingo
Donor
Sweden

Stats
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:28:01 AM »

Which "VHS to DVD box" are you using?
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:44:36 AM »

Which "VHS to DVD box" are you using?

This one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/H...m337b96a047#ht_500wt_1288

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

Malingo
Donor
Sweden

Stats
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 09:03:18 AM »

Thanks Smiley
Im worried about the Audio getting "out of sync" with the video when using these kind of recorders.
Have you experienced any such issues when recording with it? Does it work OK to record for longer times, like 30 minutes or maybe an hour?
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:18:10 AM »

Just as a slight alternative to Crabs suggestion.

The "VHS to DVD box" that I use is very old and has a lot of lag (no matter what you plug into it).  I overcame this by buying three sets of RCA splitters on Amazon (note the free shipping).  Run the split before the recorder and plug it into your television with the other plugged into the VHS box (which is plugged into your computer).  This will minimize costs and make sure you have lag free gameplay.

I would heavily recommend what Crab is showing you.  He's recorded a ton of videos and I've never seen any syncing problems.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Malingo
Donor
Sweden

Stats
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »

Sounds good!
Ive got some of those RCA splitters already so i might try this setup Smiley
Necrosaro
Virtual Boy
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:30 PM »

Just hookup your NES/SNES/SMS/GEN to a TV with a audio/video output.

Good luck finding one of those in the US.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 02:57:17 PM »

Thanks Smiley
Im worried about the Audio getting "out of sync" with the video when using these kind of recorders.
Have you experienced any such issues when recording with it? Does it work OK to record for longer times, like 30 minutes or maybe an hour?

I've got some videos that are pushing 5-6 hours and didnt have any problems with the sounds syncing up.

Just hookup your NES/SNES/SMS/GEN to a TV with a audio/video output.

Good luck finding one of those in the US.

It seems like CRTs released fairly late (2000s) had them fairly often. I've got 2 that I use out of my 3 CRT gaming TVs without specifically looking for one when buying.

Seno
Sega CD
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 04:08:34 PM »

As an alternative you could always run the game under emulation and fraps it, 8/16bit emulators are pretty much spot on
Malingo
Donor
Sweden

Stats
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 11:50:12 AM »

Another question.
What kind of computer do you use?
Windows 7?
(Im wondering how much trouble i will have installing drivers and software...)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:23:08 PM by Malingo » Logged
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »

Another question.
What kind of computer do you use?
Windows 7?
(Im wondering how much trouble i will have installing drivers and software...)

I have it on both my HP laptop (Windows 7) and my DELL PC which is about a decade old now (Windows XP). Works great on both.

Malingo
Donor
Sweden

Stats
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:11:38 AM »

Sound very good. Thanks.
I might try and find one of these things then.
Doesn't seem to be easily available anywhere here in Sweden though so ill probably need to ship it from another part of the planet Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length