RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2024, 02:24:48 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | James Rolfe's SNES vs. Genesis 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: James Rolfe's SNES vs. Genesis  (Read 1883 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:40:46 PM »

http://cinemassacre.com/2...-sega-genesis-full-video/

This video put a huge smile on my face. 

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 02:08:45 AM »

http://cinemassacre.com/2...-sega-genesis-full-video/

This video put a huge smile on my face. 

The AVGN puts the opposite facial expression on me. I did watch this though and even though I'd choose the SNES over the Genesis too I have some problems with his analysis. The biggest one being that he refused to take the 6-button Genesis pad into consideration when comparing controllers, but had no issue giving the SNES the advantage on backwards compatibility due to an obscure 3rd party accessory. Mainly I just dont find him entertaining though.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Addicted
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:44:06 AM »

I'm really surprised he didn't use anything from Streets of Rage 1 or 2 for the sound comparison.

Stephen Kick: “The thing about classic games was that they were the first for an entire generation. Successive works are going to be important to individuals and even to groups, but never to a whole generation in the same way.”
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 05:23:47 PM »

It was a little biased.  You can tell he's a nintendo fanboy.  You could make the arguement that Genesis has better sound than the SNES if you showed the right games, and he mentioned that.  The first part of the video he was talking about how the systems were marketed and how they chose to showcase the good parts of their system to move units, and to highlight what the other system didn't have.  He kinda did that in his own comparison of the systems whether he did it on purpose or not.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

Yeah the review would have been a little different if he used the best things the system's had to offer over their lifespan as opposed to just stating the launch features. I love my Genesis but I am no fanboy of the system. Over the past few years my love for all systems has grown. Every system has some charm to somebody. It doesn't mean its better in the end, just more favorable to that individual.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 08:19:53 PM »

SNES hardware was superior to the Genesis.
SNES came out 2 years after genny. Moores Law means the system should have been at least 2x better on the technical end.
There really is no debate that SNES was a more powerful system anymore than you can debate that Nintendo pumps out the weakest systems technologically today.

That being said given a choice between Genny and SNES i would take the genesis version of a game everytime.

Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 07:13:41 PM »

Who cares? You can buy each system for pennies nowadays. There's no reason not to own both. I'm always amazed by fanboys and console wars. Unless you work for either company or own stock of one of these, you really have nothing to gain from defending one system or bashing the other.

As for the AVGN, his videos aren't "funny" anymore as they used to, mainly because he can't bring himself to act as the "nerd" anymore. Atleast in the latest videos of him, he's just being himself. My favorite episode is the one in which he tries to hook up the Atari 5200. That was awesome.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:16:09 PM by Sirgin » Logged
SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:20 PM »

I grew up with the SNES but I swear I've had a more nonbiased stance than most people I've run into about most things. That said nowadays I love both systems. Both have their strong suits, Genesis is a more arcade oriented system while SNES has some amazing platformers and RPGs, but that's about it.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »

As for the AVGN, his videos aren't "funny" anymore as they used to, mainly because he can't bring himself to act as the "nerd" anymore. Atleast in the latest videos of him, he's just being himself. My favorite episode is the one in which he tries to hook up the Atari 5200. That was awesome.

just have to point out that he's not avgn in this video, he's supposed to be himself. it's cinemassecre.com not avgn.com because he's a film buff that does a lot of different things on his site, avgn is just the most popular.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length