RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2024, 08:24:16 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | EEPROM Programmer for Repros/Unreleased games 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EEPROM Programmer for Repros/Unreleased games  (Read 1787 times)
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:16:08 AM »

Lately I've been considering picking up an EEPROM programmer and some PCBs and EEPROMS to try making carts for unreleased games that I'd like to have in my collection.  I could just buy the repros from people who already make them, but I really enjoy doing things myself.

Can anyone suggest a good EEPROM programmer?  Preferably one that doesn't require power apart from USB?  The Willem GQ-4X seems to be the "go to" programmer that most repro producers use.  (http://www.mcumall.com/co...comersus_dynamicIndex.asp)

Anyone have any other suggestions, input, or experience with EEPROM programming?

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 10:14:51 AM »

No clue, but VERY interested to hear how this goes.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 02:40:56 PM »

Willem programmers are pretty good, that's the one I would go with. I need to get one myself as I got a bunch of EPROMs from my dad and I'd like to use them for BIOS replacements and mods.
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »

Willem programmers are pretty good, that's the one I would go with. I need to get one myself as I got a bunch of EPROMs from my dad and I'd like to use them for BIOS replacements and mods.

Where do you get EEPROMS apart from buying them off ebay?  Do they have to be brand new/unsoldered or can you remove EEPROMS from a random PCB, wipe them and re use them?

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 05:20:33 PM »

You can reflash EEPROMs all you want, though I believe they have a set limit before they're unusable.

Serial ones can be found here, which are likely what you're looking for:
http://www.microchip.com/..._GET_PAGE&nodeId=2697

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 04:26:58 PM »

You can reflash EEPROMs all you want, though I believe they have a set limit before they're unusable.

Serial ones can be found here, which are likely what you're looking for:
http://www.microchip.com/..._GET_PAGE&nodeId=2697

Good info!

That's what I thought too but one of the repro guides I found (http://www.callanbrown.co...le-projects&Itemid=61) suggests using an EEPROM eraser which I guess just bombards the EEPROMS with UV light for 15 minutes which wipes the chip clean.  I figured that even though an EEPROM is read only, if you have an EEPROM programmer, you would be able to reprogram it.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 04:42:19 PM »

Wait...wouldn't the UV light be an EPROM, not an EEPROM? EEPROMs use electricity to erase them.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »

Wait...wouldn't the UV light be an EPROM, not an EEPROM? EEPROMs use electricity to erase them.

Didn't realize there was a difference until now.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:04:04 AM by wildbil52 » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length