RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 22, 2024, 08:45:55 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: This land is peaceful, it's inhabitants kind.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Cheetahmen II Kickstarter 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Cheetahmen II Kickstarter  (Read 8012 times)
nes_pimp
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 12:26:42 AM »

Becuase the game cheetahmen 2 was not officially released by nintendo and was discovered late in the nes life span if not after, and the game is gliched to the point it was never completted. Does this mean that the cheetamen 2 we have known for years is really just an over price proto? Either way I really dont give 2 fucks I dont plan on buy'n either but I did enjoy the video.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 12:53:07 AM »

Overpriced proto? I'd say nothing is overpriced, since it only gets its value from what someone is willing to pay.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 08:28:32 AM »

Overpriced proto? I'd say nothing is overpriced, since it only gets its value from what someone is willing to pay.

I agree.  There are definitely items that sell for WAY more than I would be willing to pay. In the end, an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

To answer the original question:

The original Cheetahmen, while severely glitched, WAS produced with the intent of distribution.  A prototype is NOT produced with the intent of distribution.  For that reason, I wouldn't consider the original a proto, though it is a greyish area.  I guess I'd call it an unintentional alpha release.

RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 06:44:03 PM »

I don't think this repro will effect the value of Cheetahmen II.  It doesn't change the number of original carts, so why would the value drop?  Its like when Shelby reproduced its famous Cobra, they made a ton of repros but the value of the original car is the same, and has actually gone up.

I wouldn't call it a variant either....well maybe i would.  That's a tough one.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »

I still say repro is the wrong word. Would it be a repro if Nintendo decided to start manufacturing more SMB 3 carts for NES? No, clearly a variant.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

I don't think this repro will effect the value of Cheetahmen II.  It doesn't change the number of original carts, so why would the value drop?

When Guardian Heroes was released on XBLA the value of the physical product took a noticeable hit.  I wouldn't have thought it could make a difference but, sometimes, it does.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2012, 11:45:04 PM »

I still say repro is the wrong word. Would it be a repro if Nintendo decided to start manufacturing more SMB 3 carts for NES? No, clearly a variant.

Ok so its not really a repro, but is it a variant either?  Its not the same game because the bugs are fixed and its 20 years later.  I think it lies between a repro a variant and a homebrew.  Or, a revarbrew.

ItellYaHuat
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »

http://gbatemp.net/topic/...hmen-ii-kickstarter-scam/
http://s1226.photobucket....;current=mikecomments.jpg
http://scoobymode.blogspo...m.html?zx=3210dc1ef81809f
http://www.therwp.com/for...ms/showthread.php?t=49309

Fixed version already exists and they say Greg Pabich and his team is working on developing a fixed version. Have fun.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:26:01 AM by arnold_the_bartender » Logged
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2012, 12:51:19 AM »

Yes, but this kickstarter comes sealed with a box, manual, and comic book.

ItellYaHuat
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2012, 01:00:27 AM »

Yes, but this kickstarter comes sealed with a box, manual, and comic book.

[img width=465 height=446]http://images.wikia.com/glee/images/b/bf/Seriously-meme.jpg[/img]

Time to bust out my checkbook.
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2012, 01:02:03 AM »

Ha that was my exact reaction.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2012, 01:21:58 AM »

i haven't been following this, didn't even know avgn and mike were involved. good for them to speak up about it instead of trying to sweep it under the rug though.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2012, 06:32:35 AM »

I don't think this repro will effect the value of Cheetahmen II.  It doesn't change the number of original carts, so why would the value drop?  Its like when Shelby reproduced its famous Cobra, they made a ton of repros but the value of the original car is the same, and has actually gone up.

I wouldn't call it a variant either....well maybe i would.  That's a tough one.

Again, I'd disagree. There were many games released by Nintendo themselves that got bug fixes and rereleased with a -1 to the product number, or even Revenge of Shinobi that exists in multiple versions with different boss characters. No one questions whether these are variants or something else.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »

Oh i didn't know that.  In that case you may be right.  This is a strange one to define just because its been decades since the original game was (un)released on a system that's been dead just as long

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »

FWIW, I've well known that this is essentially a scam, and there's no development in terms of the rom fix. It's essentially just paying them to give you a "reproduction" cartridge for it with the official license.

Note: Reproduction is used lightly, since it's just a homebrew release at this point. It doesn't fall into the "unlicensed" category, since those were made while Nintendo was making licensed titles, and it doesn't fall into a variant since the original was not actually released.

EDIT: Since Duke brought it up, Nintendo had two methods of noting revisions - Part #, and Version Numbers. Part #s were used to denote major changes (e.g. licensing changes, publisher changes, etc.) while Version Numbers were used to denote game fixes. Take, for example, the most notable of the version differences in Ocarina of Time:

There are three different versions of game cartridges: 1.0 (NUS-CZGE-USA), 1.1 (NUS-CZLE-USA), and 1.2 (NUS-CZLE-USA-1)

EDIT: Wait, why are the manuals NZ instead of CZ? Weird.

The game also released in different software versions. All of the gold cartridge games that came out in November 1998 are version 1.0, and some grey cartridges released soon after are also version 1.0. Version 1.1 grey cartridges began to be released in early 1999, in which Nintendo fixed a number of bugs and glitches from the first version. This was followed by version 1.2.

The most notable difference between version 1.0 and the following versions is that version 1.0 contains a trick that allows one to play the game without Link's sword, which in turn allows one to use any item on Epona. Version 1.1 is similar to version 1.0 except you cannot perform the above trick (there is a different known method that works on all versions, including GameCube ones). Ganon's blood at the end of the game appears red in versions 1.0 and 1.1, but was changed to green in version 1.2. Also for version 1.2, the original theme for the Fire Temple, similar to an Islamic prayer chant, was replaced in version 1.2 with a new theme. The GameCube version is similar to 1.2 but has some differences including button icons changed to their GameCube colors.

http://strategywiki.org/w..._Ocarina_of_Time/Versions
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:48:12 PM by Shadow Kisuragi » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length