RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2024, 12:26:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Any LPers here? 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Any LPers here?  (Read 5654 times)
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« on: July 15, 2012, 11:32:36 PM »

i can't be the only person addicted to watching Lets Plays on YouTube.  If you don't know what an LP  is, its basically a series of gameplay videos by someone who commentates while they play through the game.  Some are good, most are really bad....but once you find an LPer you like you'll go through their playlist for hours.

So....anyone?

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:43:09 AM »

i've watched some now and then but never the whole way through a game they play. i enjoy seeing a little gameplay with commentary if the person talking is good but to watch through the whole game seems a bit much to me...at that point you may as well just play it yourself.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:38:42 AM »

I sometimes check them when I want to get a "feel" for the game (when a demo is not available, for instance).  They are kind of hit-and-miss though, as the wrong personality can rub me the wrong way.  Like techwizard said, more for a feel, but the whole game is just too much.  I might as go as for as to say that the Quicklooks on Giantbomb are a bit much sometimes.

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »

I don't think I can watch most of them. Mostly due to time restraints. Anything over 15 minutes is too much for me to handle. I prefer a short review instead. If the person is really funny than I can watch an LP. I just can't get into them though. 
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »

I love Let's Plays and speedruns - I'll watch people stream all day. I just recently re-discovered SpeedRunsLive.com, and I used to watch a group of speedrunners screw around on Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2 all day. If you can find the right group, they're awesome to watch.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »

speed runs are different though, they're doing things that most people don't have the skill or patience to try. watching a speed run is more like watching a professional sport, whereas watching a lets play for more than a few minutes feels to me like sitting on a couch watching a friend play through a game...it's cool to see the game, but it's not nearly as fun as playing it yourself.
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:39:17 PM »

Crabby and I did a couple pre-podcast. You can check them out on his YouTube page.

Razor Knuckles
& Knuckles
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:36 PM »

I like Crabby's stuff. I usually skim through most of it as they can be quite long. I wouldn't consider his stuff lets play. It's more like the whole game from start to end. Its petty epic to see the length of his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2000Crabmaster
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:14:42 PM by Razor Knuckles » Logged
RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 12:04:51 AM »

I love Let's Plays and speedruns - I'll watch people stream all day. I just recently re-discovered SpeedRunsLive.com, and I used to watch a group of speedrunners screw around on Mario Kart 64 and Mario Party 2 all day. If you can find the right group, they're awesome to watch.

yep.  To me its kinda like watching anything else on tv. Besides, there's nothing really good on tv anymore.  I turn on a Lets Play while i'm doing stuff around the house just for background noise.  If the LPer is entertaining i can watch just about anything.  Or if they're just crazy good, like watching people sequence break Super Metroid and 100% it in less than 2 hours without tool assists. 

And now people are doing Lets Races, where they'll upload a video of two or more people playing a game at the same time and see who can beat it first.  check it out, you'll beer surprised how fun it is to watch, especially when its a blind race.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:59 PM »

I like Crabby's stuff. I usually skim through most of it as they can be quite long. I wouldn't consider his stuff lets play. It's more like the whole game from start to end. Its petty epic to see the length of his videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/2000Crabmaster

Thanks for the shout out!!

The only guy I have found that I can stand watching his Let's Play type vids is Cornshaq. He generally plays the game enough that he can do a very solid run and it SUPER informative about the game, its mechanics, glitches, secrets, enemy patterns, etc. I've used a couple of his videos to help get through some tough spots on a few games. And from the looks of his channel he has done several non-typical games like Mad Max and Dirty Harry that I will probably end up using to help me through those games too.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

I don't really get LP's.

I guess they're useful for very difficult games or when you're stuck at some point in a game. But to watch an entire LP? What a monumental waste of time. Why not actually play the game yourself then.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:47:34 PM »

I don't really get LP's.

I guess they're useful for very difficult games or when you're stuck at some point in a game. But to watch an entire LP? What a monumental waste of time. Why not actually play the game yourself then.

I find it somewhat cerebral to watch other people play games, and comparing their playing style versus my own. It makes you rethink a lot of the game.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »

I don't really get LP's.

Thats kind of like saying "why watch sports" or "cop dramas" etc. Other than wildly fantastical shows/movies you could go do the real thing rather than watch it. Sometimes its just pure entertainment value from watching others play something.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »

Yeah, I like LPs. Both of them in-fact, I like Let's Plays and the commentary free Long Plays too.

Normally only watch them of a game I'm reminiscing about and want to take a look at again without digging out the computer/console to play through again.

RetroRage
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »

Yeah, I like LPs. Both of them in-fact, I like Let's Plays and the commentary free Long Plays too.

Normally only watch them of a game I'm reminiscing about and want to take a look at again without digging out the computer/console to play through again.

same here.  its hard for me to watch an LP if i don't have a personal connection to the game.  i like NintendoCapriSun alot and can watch most of his LPs, but besides him i can't really stomach some of the other LPers if i don't know what they're playing

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length