RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2024, 01:34:08 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Nintendo finally adopts Achievements 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Nintendo finally adopts Achievements  (Read 7398 times)
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 06:32:29 AM »

On the 360 you can turn the notifications off.
That's more like it, should be the default option. When did they add that ability?

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 09:15:37 AM »

I just hope they aren't obnoxious and appear on screen every time you "achieve" something. Let me see achievements/trophies if I want to see them, don't force them down my throat. That's all I ask. I don't mind them if they are done in this way (is why I don't mind them on iOS)

i wonder if you can do that on ps3, i don't think so but seems like something i should look into lol. anyway i like the way Heavy Rain and Journey did them. Heavy Rain had them during the loading screens after you finished an area and journey left them until the very end of the game.

There is an option to turn off Notifications underneath Settings -> System Settings -> Notification Messages.

But the description underneath that says "Sets whether or not to notify when Friends are online or when a message has been received from a Friend."

I personally like hearing the "ding!" sound when I get a trophy.  It doesn't bother me to see the message pop up in the corner of the screen.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 10:24:27 AM »

That's more like it, should be the default option. When did they add that ability?

Not sure it has been around for a long time.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 10:29:24 AM »

Not sure it has been around for a long time.

Why would it be the default option? Then no one would know the service was there, which would be counter-intuitive for Microsoft.

It's been there since the launch of the system. I turned off the Notifications during movies because I was tired of seeing friends sign in when watching a DVD.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »

^ The future is here, embrace it cheapy Grin

http://www.destructoid.co...ubscriptions-230360.phtml

I dont have to Tongue

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »

^With that being said...Microsoft really needs to drop charging for Live. I mean Nintendo Network and PlayStation Network both will allow you to do the same things for free....So...why should I play just to play on Xbox?

Nintendo has horrible netcode and PlayStation has a ton of hackers, modders and griefers. There's nothing stopping them from coming back when it's free, now is there?

SirPsycho
Naked Koei Dude
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »

Nintendo has horrible netcode and PlayStation has a ton of hackers, modders and griefers.

So does Live.

Women were the reason I became a monk - and, ah, the reason I switched back... - Morte

Well I, for one, plan on discovering the secrets of the multiverse by rubbing cottage cheese on my belly and eating vast quantities of fresh-water fish. Mmm... cheese. -The Nameless One
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »

For all the complaints about Xbox Live fees, I have found it to be the most cohesive and best online experience among the systems. Anyone that bothers to check can grab 12-months for $35. I have no qualms paying for a good service, including from Nintendo or Sony.

For me though, with those so far you get what you pay for. Playstation + is a big step in the right direction, but with such cobbled online functionality in the PS3 that has been done piecemeal during its lifespan it just doesn't warrant my dollars. Having said that, I think that they have learned a lot of lessons from this round, and should be on solid footing for PS4.

With Nintendo, adding the ability to have achievements into the development tools was just a smart and easy move. They always take an interesting approach which makes me curious to see exactly how the Wii U will turn out. To me though Nintendo has always focused on living room multiplayer, and it is their strong suit. I won't be upset if the Wii U isn't up to snuff with the other two, because that isn't the experience I am looking for in it. That is what the next Xbox and PS4 are for, and I want Nintendo to give me something fresh.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 03:28:11 AM »

I have had live for a few months and letting it expire in a couple days. It offers nothing. ooh Netflix. Wait I have that on y Wii PC and Roku and don't need to pay fora sub to watch paid subs. I never use this but when it comes to XBL. MS is being M$. XBL to me is as useful as tits on a boar
Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 03:34:37 AM »

Hopefully nintendo's own Achievements are for things that you don't obviously do in the game. (Like beat it) Thyey should follow Xenoblade and give you them for doing things you wouldn't want to do yet reward you in game at the same time. Then every one of nitendo's games could double as a mental game.

Metroid Prime 3 was the only game I ever played where Achievments meant anything. You could earn them like coins and spend them for artwork or music and in game items like bobble heads and such. If more games did that then I would be more open to them. At least then it actually feels rewarding. Other than that I can get rewarded without a charm. Phoenix Wright solving cases was so self rewarding and felt awesome to solve. But if it had charms that let me actually get more out of the came like currency then bring it.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »

For all the complaints about Xbox Live fees, I have found it to be the most cohesive and best online experience among the systems. Anyone that bothers to check can grab 12-months for $35.

I agree with this. Nintendo with it's friends codes is just plain stupid. I have been in Xbox Live parties with people using the chat function on the 360 while playing their PS3's because you cant talk top poeple playing a different game I think.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 10:56:41 AM by Tynstar » Logged

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2012, 10:57:32 AM »

I have had live for a few months and letting it expire in a couple days. It offers nothing. ooh Netflix. Wait I have that on y Wii PC and Roku and don't need to pay fora sub to watch paid subs. I never use this but when it comes to XBL. MS is being M$. XBL to me is as useful as tits on a boar

Offers nothing you might like offers nothing is a tad bit wrong.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length