RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 03, 2024, 05:20:09 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | I'm a new Atari ST owner 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I'm a new Atari ST owner  (Read 2126 times)
ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« on: July 09, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »

Picked up this beauty over the weekend from a local electronics supply store for $50:

[img width=700 height=525]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/ApolloBoy/DSCN0286.jpg[/img]

It also included an external floppy drive and all the necessary cables except for a monitor cable. Until I can get ahold of an RGB SCART cable I'm making do with this:

[img width=700 height=525]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/ApolloBoy/DSCN0288.jpg[/img]
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:18:03 PM »

Very cool!  Get any games?

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 03:28:53 PM »

I didn't get any although the place I bought it from has loads of CIB ST games. I've been making some floppies instead, although it's been largely a hit or miss process. What's nice is that you can write ST floppies using just a PC, whereas with the Amiga you have to get special PC hardware or link together the Amiga and a PC using a serial cable in order to write disks. I might get an Ultrasatan later on though, which plugs into the ST's hard drive port and lets you use an SD card as a hard drive.
Hungrymoose
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »

I didn't get any although the place I bought it from has loads of CIB ST games. I've been making some floppies instead, although it's been largely a hit or miss process. What's nice is that you can write ST floppies using just a PC, whereas with the Amiga you have to get special PC hardware or link together the Amiga and a PC using a serial cable in order to write disks. I might get an Ultrasatan later on though, which plugs into the ST's hard drive port and lets you use an SD card as a hard drive.
Are they 3 1/2" floppies?

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »

That thing looks brand new.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »

Are they 3 1/2" floppies?
Yep, although they're double density so you either have to track down real double density disks or use HD disks with the extra hole covered up.
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »

Very wicked find, ApolloBoy.  I've been on the lookout for one of these babies at a good price for a coons age now, but no luck.  Most people around here won't budge for under $150 (no box but otherwise complete) and that is for a system with no games!  Too bad about the SCART, though.  Composite is just no way to view the the TOS "green screen."  Have you priced a SCART to VGA or do you have an old 15-pin CRT sitting around?

Just out of curiosity, what games are you firing up on it?

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length