RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 17, 2024, 12:18:04 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Good PC controllers? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Good PC controllers?  (Read 673 times)
Shimra
Sega CD

Stats

Champion of

« on: February 03, 2009, 12:34:28 AM »

Ugh, I know you guys are going to hate this but...

One that works well with SNES roms and some N64 roms and to a much lesser extent Unreal Tournament. In particular Super Metroid and Perfect Dark. Uh, I do have both those games just to let you guys know and they really are the only roms I actually care about. Also, I need the save state features/slow down particularly for Super Metroid.

Anyway back on topic... anyone know any good PC gaming controllers? Any input is immensely appreciated.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 01:17:45 AM »

OMFG ROMS YOU DIE NOW!!!1!11!!!1!  Angry

But seriously, I'd pick up a PS3 controller. Either that or a Logitech gamepad.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Tan
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:06:10 AM »

Here's a few options for you:

- An Xbox 360 or PS3 controller
 - A Logitech Wingman gamepad
 - An N64 and SNES USB adapter
 - A Sega Saturn to USB adapter
 - A PS1/PS2 USB adapter
 - A gameport to USB adapter

In my experience, the last two options are the best. PS1/PS2 dual shock controllers are cheap and easily replaceable. They work well with PC games and in most cases, don't require driver software. D-pad sucks but the analog sticks are better than most PC controllers I've ever used, Logitech, Saitek etc etc. (whose d-pads suck as well). A PS1-USB adapter is like $5-10.

A gameport to USB adapter is great because you can always find ancient PC controllers in flea markets, thrift stores etc. usually for dirt cheap. Back then they knew how to make a quality controller and the D-pads were excellent. Take this one for example:

http://www.rfgeneration.c...fo.php?ID=U-016-H-00350-A

$0.99 in a thrift store. Those places are crawling with pads like that. Built like tanks and so cheap you can have several for different uses. It also gives you the option of using some of those rock solid PC joysticks of yesteryear. Also a $5-10 adapter.

There's no "all-in-one-wonder", especially when you throw N64 into the mix. But if you can play Dreamcast games comfortably then you can map N64 controls to a PS1 dual analog just fine. It just comes down to the D-pads which in my opinion, can only be substituted by the real thing or an equal product made to high standards like a 10 year old PC gamepad.
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:32:34 AM »

Gravis Pad, all the way. It worked great for Doom and One Must Fall 2097 Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length