RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2024, 08:02:40 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Killzone 2 A Graphical Prodigy 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Killzone 2 A Graphical Prodigy  (Read 1237 times)
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« on: November 16, 2008, 03:24:56 PM »

[img width=700 height=525]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i32/LordofNothing/killzone.jpg?t=1226867158[/img]

It's a badly written article, but it is interesting.

From bingegamer.com

Remember that Killzone 2 trailer from 2005? The one that made everybody go “zomg i needs a PS3!!!”? Well, ever since it was revealed that the original trailer was pre-rendered, people have had their doubts. However, even though Killzone 2 hasn’t touched the movie that got folks hopes so high, it’s still looking to be a damn fine looking game.

So good, in fact, that one expert in gaming and technical graphic technology (that’s a mouthful) has called the game the “Undisputed Winner” in regards to graphical prowess.

Graphically, Killzone 2 is an undisputed winner. Initially it does look rather blurry. Yes, this is in part down to the quincunx anti-aliasing, but it’s mostly due to the motion blur. I’m not a fan of blurring in video games, but the entire range of techniques used in Killzone 2 combines to create a look and feel that is entirely its own, deeply immersive, and - in the heat of battle - brutal, visceral and quite unlike any other game.

The expert goes on to say that while the graphics don’t hit the high mark set by that damned pre-rendered video from 2005, the handling of the visuals that are in the game put Killzone 2 a step above the competition.

…while the actual graphics themselves aren’t really a generation beyond anything we’ve seen recently in terms of geometry or textures, I think it’s the handling of those visuals that makes it truly stand out. The motion blur, the post-processing, the lighting, the shadows, the animation of your player’s movements… all of it is geared towards a closer emulation of reality.

It should be noted that these evaluations were made with the Killzone 2 beta, and while there was some framerate drops (from 30fps to 20fps), the game was still able to handle the madness of a 32-player game “beautifully”

http://www.bingegamer.net...puted-winner-says-expert/

I personally wasn't that impressed with Crysis. I'm interested to see if Killzone will actually move graphics forward...God knows the last Killzone was not the "Halo killer" it was purported to be.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 03:27:43 PM by The Maligned Leon » Logged

When shall his new form be revealed?
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 06:25:50 PM »

I still can't believe Guerilla was so stupid to think they could show a pre-rendered trailer, pretend it's in-game footage, and think nobody would find out.
Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 08:10:44 PM »

I still can't believe Guerilla was so stupid to think they could show a pre-rendered trailer, pretend it's in-game footage, and think nobody would find out.
But have they matched it? Yes.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 10:32:14 AM »

But have they matched it? Yes.
That is the good part indeed. Smiley
Kimoosabi
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:10:26 PM »

The graphics may be impressive, but how is the gameplay? The first Killzone was extremely underwhelming. Not terrible by any means, but painfully average in every way.
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »

The graphics may be impressive, but how is the gameplay? The first Killzone was extremely underwhelming. Not terrible by any means, but painfully average in every way.

Yes, this will be the true test. Crysis was the same...pretty but boring.

When shall his new form be revealed?
Moriya Hanzo
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 04:43:39 PM »

I am hoping that Killzone 2 will be way better than the 1st. This may very well be the reason i break down and buy a PS3 next year.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length