RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 07:21:26 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | I think my PS2 may be dying........... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: I think my PS2 may be dying...........  (Read 7560 times)
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« on: June 09, 2004, 06:47:54 AM »

I first noticed problems when playing DVD's, and no I'm not talkig about the totally useless operating system for DVD's.  

More recently I'm often getting Disc Not Found messages. Sometimes it makes funny noises, sor t of jumping noises, almost as if the disc isn't quite sitting on the mechanism proreprly. A smart tap on the top of the unit over the disc area sometimes worked.

The problem got worse. I found that placing the PS2 on it's edge seemed to help improve things a bit, but I still get problems, and only a jolt or a slap seem to fix it. Once a game has loaded succesfully it works fine.

any ideas?

Can't afford a new, or even a second hand one right now, but I suspect that this is the only solution.

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 07:01:23 AM »

That's a very common problem. I don't think there's anything you can do to fix it yourself.

I had the same problem with the dreamcast and I was able to fix it myself. There's a little screw below the lens there. If you turn it up a bit, the laser gets stronger or something, and it reads cd's again. I don't think the ps2 has this though.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 07:41:09 AM »

There is a fairly easy fix for this if you don't mind opening up your PS2.  I've never done it myself, but I think the problem is the laser is out of focus, so if you teghten the screw a little, it will move the laser closer to the disc so that it can focus correctly.  Let me look around for a tutorial.  There are some on the net.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 07:48:01 AM »

http://www.network54.com/...&messageid=1047699519

Once again, I have never done this and don't know anybody who has.  I also don't know if that is the best guide on the net, or even accurate, so you may want to do some looking of your own.

Also, I just remembered that Sony is supposedly fixing the disc-read error problems for free, if you just pay the cost of shipping the system to them.  You should probably look into this before you try fixing it yourself or getting a new console.

Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 10:47:36 PM »

I've read somewhere - and I don't know if this would help your problem, that if you put two pieces of tape next to the hole on the disks (kinda like in an H shape with the hole being the middle line) it helps. It keeps the disks balanced or somethin. I dunno if that would add enough weight to it or not but it may be worth a shot.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
thx1138
3DO

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 12:00:28 AM »

thanks for the info, Smiley

I am such a klutz with tools, that I would just bugger it up. I notice that fualty PS2's sell on eBay for £20 or more, I just bought a PS2 with games and accessories from someone with very good feedback indeed for £90 including postage, nad have put mine up for sale........

10 PRINT "THX is still skill"
20 GOTO 10
30 REM 24th Sept 2017 ;-)

RUN
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »

WHERE'S MY SHOTGUN?

When shall his new form be revealed?
BadEnoughDude
Couldn't save the savior from savoring
Donor
United States
Awards: The 100k Man

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 12:09:33 AM »

I used the "fix-if-yourself" method on mine. It did work, but it only delayed the inevitable death of the console.

Minnesota represent.
Wii - 3952 3192 4794 1209
PS3 - DudeBadEnough
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length