RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 06:24:33 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | SEGA SATURN NETLINK IS STILL ALIVE! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SEGA SATURN NETLINK IS STILL ALIVE!  (Read 2514 times)
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« on: December 17, 2007, 05:12:34 PM »

Not sure where to post this but i wanted to let all the net link owners out there know about the sega saturn netlink league@ http://www.saturnleague.com/. This site is keeping the Netlink community alive!. I'm not sure if this is old news or not, i just got a netlink and i'm all excited about it and i really don't wanna see this site die. If anyone still wants to play thier Saturn online check them out.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:36:45 PM by Reps911 » Logged
Arrrhalomynn
Beep beep! Boop boop!
Co-Founder
Netherlands

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »

Why are you shouting your spam at us?
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 06:12:49 PM »

ah... i realized that kinda looks like spam after i posted it. I'm not trying to spam, i'm just really excited about finally having a netlink and i found that site today. the site looks kinda slow with not much activity so i thought i'd spread the word about it in hopes others who have netlinks still wanna play.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:59:29 PM by Reps911 » Logged
Fighter17
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:53:12 PM »

26.6k connection?

I don't know. 
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 11:35:45 PM »

I'ts not that bad. the way it works is you directly call the other player. so it's a direct connection. depending on how close the other player is there is little to no lag. I got a kick outta it. back in 99 when i played Sega rally @ my friends house against his cousin in Arizona.

Anyone else use the netlink back when it was new?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:37:46 PM by Reps911 » Logged
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 12:37:13 AM »

26.6k connection?

I don't know. 
Are you trying to point out a 26.6k connection as slow? If that's the case it really depends on the application, and for older games you really don't need much. I played many of DOS games in 14k and I know many C64 fans played in much, much slower bauds.

Anyways, whether you look at it as spam or not it's a cool idea. I don't have an adaptor but with an unlimited telephone line it wouldn't be a bad idea to dial into other Sega Netlink users.

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 03:42:52 AM »

Interesting news, thanks for sharing it Smiley

Fighter17
Donor

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 10:17:50 AM »

26.6k connection?

I don't know. 
Are you trying to point out a 26.6k connection as slow? If that's the case it really depends on the application, and for older games you really don't need much. I played many of DOS games in 14k and I know many C64 fans played in much, much slower bauds.

Yeah but the Saturn, well I still don't know.

(Thinking)

Well I presume the 26.6k would be use for input commands and other minor stuff (time, location of other players).

It's a cool idea, but how many games use the Netlink again?
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 01:20:58 PM »

These Have Their Own Version For Netlink:
Sega Rally Netlink Edition
Virtua On Netlink Edition
Daytona U.S.A Netlink Edition (Super Rare Though)

These Have The Netlink Feature Built in:
Duke Nukem 3D
Saturn Bomberman

Only 5 Games But at Least They're Good Ones.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 01:30:20 PM by Reps911 » Logged
Ken B.
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 05:52:15 PM »

I remember when these were in stores--I was working in Electronics at Wal-Mart at the time and thought it was very cool.

As the Saturns came down in price, it made more sense for people to get the Saturn + Netlink instead of the HORRIBLE Web TV, and we actually made a few sales based on that.  A few of the customers came back and told me that they enjoyed it and their kids really liked to use it for a game system.

Sega was TOO far ahead of the times, it seems, with this and then the Dreamcast's built-in modem.  Microsoft and Sony are getting a lot of credit for their online stuff but it was Sega who was blazing that trail first.

Thanks for the info, I'm surprised to hear the old service is still kicking!
Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 11:40:50 PM »

i actually got my netlink to go online using juno free internet. took like 10 tries to connect and most of the pages were not visable or no images came up. but i could check my email and it was kind of "Nolstalgic" surfing the web with my 11 year old system Grin
Cobra
Donor
Australia

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 03:50:08 AM »

Saturn Bomberman

That alone is good enough reason to play Netlink for hours, much easier than cramming 8 players around the system too.

Reps911
Memorex VIS
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »

I agree... Also the best part about saturn bomberman is it allows two players per console. so 4 people can play over the netlink. unlike the others, they only support two.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 10:08:37 AM »

I heard about this some time ago but I have never used the Netlink.

nester
Sega 32X

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 02:30:43 AM »

I don't know much about the Netlink, but it is always nice to see a new Saturn story pop up. It's kind of exciting to hear that there are still a few people using it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length