RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 06:15:48 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Euro games and region wide , and region versions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Euro games and region wide , and region versions  (Read 2462 times)
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« on: June 12, 2007, 11:19:35 AM »

It's a bit chaotic at the moment. I added TMNT for Cube which was released in Germany only for Europe. If I search under European games it's just listed with a european flag, the country is missing completly when you see the page itself.

I think best solution will be just preferring the country flag over regional flag.

For European wide releases I would like to see a difference be made between games released in one version all over Europe and games released in up to at least 7 versions. Adding 6 variations isn't any good as it's hard to determine which one was the original release. So I would prefer separate listings of each version and nonen of them under the European flag. A Eururopean game can be added for the games which got one release for all over europe. I think this would make the site one of the best places for European lists.

Also I would like to see a few combined flags for games which got a two-language manual.

Don't know if it's hard to implant, but I think most work is already done. If people have other opinions.
Tan
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:29:23 AM »

Yeah I see what you mean, the region and sub-region section isn't showing. Must be a bug as it does show for others.
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 11:45:47 AM »

The game pages should show the regions or countries that a title was released in, similar to this hardware page. It appears as though the new game page didn't transfer that over.

Hello World.
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 02:56:13 PM »

Still I have the problem for adding games, as most games list now as are released in different countries with different country code, I can add the extra games as variation for those, but the problem stays with the original entries which say Europe as Country instead of of one of the countries. I think just doing it the variation way is ok, with behind it country of release like with GBA the model colors. Think this is a good and fast way to add different versions and keep the overview good and keep the right scans and upc codes for the games. If people agree to start this way we can change the orginal once maybe later on by adding a region to it
AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »

A few pointers on this one which I've often pondered. First off how do we know which countries the games are released in. I can look on the back of my games and see the Union Jack on the back obviously signifying a UK release but could this have potentially have been used in other countries. Also what happens to the new releases as we wouldn't be able to see the backs of the games as to what language or flags or whatever are listed on the back.

Next up the stickier point. What happens to all of the entries already in the database. People from all over Europe will have collections with us, the majority of which will be using the EU flag as gospel and not having regional releases in their collections. These would all need changing and rectifying in the applicable collections after these new entries are set up. This would then lead me on to what happens to all the info for the entries we have eg, scans, part numbers etc. These would all be different for each release (assumption) and therefore would need tying in to their correct release.

I feel this may be too much work than we could handle, especially on an admin programming side as the amount of info that would need chopping and changing and moving from A to B would be immense.

I would be more than willing to help and try and make this a possibility but this is something we would all have to do wholeheartedly or the database could go to shit really quickly. Everyone inthe US needs to take note whilst you may just get your US, Canadian or Mexican releases we get various different ones for unspecified countries, just ask SpeedyNES about the Euro NES games.

Definatley one for all of us Euro members to discuss as there must be a solution out there.
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

Pieter can edit countries. If Pieter wants I can make other people have this power. The TMNT game does have Germany as its country and is actually not region wide, but the getinfo script for games does not show countries / regions currently.

Hello World.
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 04:44:59 PM »

All has been made better.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

Country editing option would be really useful as I have loads of gamecube scan on my mac.

added just 2 games with region in it and scans

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=E-076-S-01400-A

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=E-076-S-01410-A

this looks good, as box and manual are french/dutch only. it would be stupid to them in as just european as there are UK and German versions as well for sure. Only I would like some feedback what to do when we add these versions as well. I think best will be a variation text between each version mention the countries it was released.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 06:04:01 PM »

If the UK and German editions are added it would be as a regional variant. I like the look of those pages.

TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 06:11:50 PM »

Good news Adri, you can now edit countries.

Enjoy.

Hello World.
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 05:07:50 AM »

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=E-076-S-00140-A
http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=E-076-S-00141-A

Looks both good, only I think country should be added as variation in the title text. As when you now search for Resident Evil for  Gamecube Europe you get two different results which look exactly the same in the search list. People search
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 12:39:06 PM »

We feel that the country flag in the variation title looks really bad from a cosmetic standpoint. As such, you could say that we hid the way countries were displayed. If you hover over a flag in a search, you'll see that it shows the countries or regions associated with that title. It was our way to show the countries without making the search result page look like total crap when there was a title released in 10 of the 12 European Countries.  If you search for a country in the advanced search the country flag will show up right.

That having been said,  We've made it that if a title is a regional variant released in only one country that it will show the country flag rather than the region flag. Due to the fact that multiple countries shown would look like total crap, a regional variant with multiple countries shows a regional flag, and if you hover over the regional flag it will show you the countries it was released in. Hopefully that is sufficient enough. The game page itself will still always show the region or countries that the game was released in.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 12:41:56 PM by TraderJake » Logged

Hello World.
Magewout
RFG Friend
Belgium

WWW Stats
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 01:02:19 PM »

I've got some questions here.

Today, I've submitted a regional variant of AC:WW for Nintendo DS. The one I submitted is for France, Holland and Belgium.
There was an original entry that's listed as the European version, but the part ID of that one ends on SWE, making it a swedish release. Could this be changed?

And, further, isn't it a big hassle to, when you look up a European game in the database, see like, 7 times exactly the same title, which means you'd have to check each time which region is meant per entry? Should I keep adding regional variants that I won and are not in the database, seeing them pop up as separate games every time?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 01:04:03 PM by Magewout » Logged
sharp
DB Contributor
Netherlands

Stats
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 05:58:03 PM »

Is already right in the system. The country is mainly imported when scans are delivered, as package is diffrent in diffrent parts of europe. Animal Crossing DS FAH is already a variation of the  SWE one.

About the flags a new discussionpoint would be Belgium. I doubt about adding it to HOL and FRA releases as it's looks chaotic in the system as games then will be displayed by a european flag as it's released in multiple countries for example Harry Potter en de steen der wijzen is now under a european flag even though the title is dutch. I would prefer to keep those games Netherlands or France only.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length