RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 03:17:07 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Game variation detail 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Game variation detail  (Read 1971 times)
itatton
N-Gage

Stats
« on: July 25, 2007, 05:58:22 AM »

How detailed are you guys with game variations?  I've been collecting 5 screw titles for the NES and label variations of Atari games and was wondering if you guys track games to this detail in the collection database or if you are just tracking game titles.  I didn't want to flood the submission queue with a bunch of erroneous entries if you guys just track individual titles.
captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 07:52:22 AM »

As far as I know, we have yet to consider the "screw" variation of the NES games. As far as the label variations go, I'd have to check with tynstar on that. (but I don't think we are currently)

I think we have talked about this in the past, but did not have the proper database for such a thing (IMO). Now, the database could feesibly handle such variants with no problem.

I'll point a few Admins and Editors towards this thread for a discussion.  Wink

Edit: Also, welcome to RFGeneration!!!!!

AndyC
RFG Friend
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »

Did Anthony not do something with this a couple of years ago. They didn't get added to the database but I'm sure there is a list in one of the forums with them all detailed there. I think Scott probably needs the final say as to whether they go in or not though.
itatton
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 06:16:29 PM »

Edit: Also, welcome to RFGeneration!!!!!

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to perusing the boards here once I finish the horrible task of reentering all of my games from the ign database in here. 
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 08:49:15 AM »

Variation such as licensed vs unlicensed we track. Screw variants no. Well you could add scans of the 3 or 5 screw as extra media or and "This game has a three and 5 screw cart" (or something like that) to the Game Trivia section.

2600 and NES get to crazy with the variants. We thought the database would get to cluttered with screw, label, seal, etc variants.

Thanks,

Scott

captain_nintendo
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »

Extra media info and scans on the current page, with a note about the variant should work.

I think that is what we have been doing up to this point.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:49:54 AM »

Me, Pieter and a few other members whose names escape me right now started up a list of games that were 3 screw, 5 screw or were available in both.

Sorry in advance to all the other people who had helped but whose names i forgot Wink

Speedy_NES
NES
RFG Friend
Belgium

Stats
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:53:16 AM »

I think it was atari_wizard that started the list.  I've been adding all NES variants under extra media in the games' respective pages.  I.e. see extra media for Golf:  http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=U-027-S-02650-A

Like Tynstar said, you can submit scans of variants, and/or information about them in the "Game Trivia" section of the gamepages.  My rule of thumb is that the main scans per NES game are from the very first release of the respective game, and scans from any later releases/variants (such as oval versus round NES seal) are then added as extra media scans.  If I come across an earlier release of a game that already has scans, I'll replace the main scans with the new ones, and then reupload the original scans as extra media. 

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length