RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 12, 2024, 06:40:26 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where the PSP Go matters more than HBO Go.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Sales Extravaganza | Pawn Shops 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Pawn Shops  (Read 1834 times)
humbaba
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: April 11, 2006, 08:15:51 AM »

Well I've mainly got my games off ebay or the flea market, but when driving around I found there were several local pawn shops. What sort of experiences have you guys had with pawn shops? Is their selection good, their prices? I would like to know what to expect before I go there so please post any experiences you've had with pawn shops and any rare finds you've gotten there.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 08:23:32 AM »

Prices vary like anywhere else. Usually they price older games all the same. Example all NES game are 5 bucks. That is a ripoff for some NES games but a steal for others.

I've had some good luck at Pawn Shops. I picked up 22 CIB SMS games for 50 bucks, 2600 with 80 games for 60 bucks and a CIB minty fresh NES top loader for $39.99.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 08:26:33 AM »

You can get lucky depending on your location.
Example
Pawn Shop in New York City will probably have a much greater selection of stuff.
Especially compared to one in Buffalo, New York.

I was at a place in New Hampsire and they had a pretty decent selection of NES carts.
Maybe 60-80 differenty titles.
All marked for 3$s.
100+ PS/DC/PC games
Some genesis games too.
Thats all i remember though.

I haven't been to any local places yet...

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 09:51:45 AM »

You can get lucky depending on your location.
Example
Pawn Shop in New York City will probably have a much greater selection of stuff.
Especially compared to one in Buffalo, New York.

And I was all set to check them out, why bother since Iz says the selection suck around here.   Wink

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Pop Culture Portal
RFG Friend
United States
Awards: Tournament Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 09:55:53 AM »

Around here, it varies quite a bit.  One pawn shop I go to prices their older stuff much, much more expensive than the newer stuff.  Current gen games are around $10-$14 each, while Sega CD games run $28-$55 each.  I don't buy much from them, but they have a HUGE selection of games.  The shop is in a small town where apparently no one has a place to dump their old games/systems except at this pawn shop.

In a larger city with maybe a Gamestop or two, prices are much better, but the selection is alot smaller for newer games, but pretty good for older games.  Pawn shops also seem to have alot of "complete" games (manual, box...), or at least that's been my experience.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 11:59:26 AM »

And I was all set to check them out, why bother since Iz says the selection suck around here.   Wink

lol
Well i'm not saying ther will be nothing there...
Ok well i will say the Pawn Shops in Rome New York
Or China New York.
Which if memory serves are also cities in NY.

bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 12:14:52 PM »

lol
Well i'm not saying ther will be nothing there...
Ok well i will say the Pawn Shops in Rome New York
Or China New York.
Which if memory serves are also cities in NY.

I've been to Rome, NY, not sure about China, NY.  More on the topic I have never been to a pawn shop, sounds like they are at least worth investigating, thanks for starting this thread humbaba

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
wrldstrman
nintedo completist
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »

Our pawn shop the owners got brought up on some federal firearms charges ..they were real @@%%$&$##...So now new owners have taken over so I will actually have a place to look.  yeah

need last 3 nes items  chubby cherub box, stadium event manual and complete myriad
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 10:19:58 AM »

I've never actually looked in a pawn shop either. I should take a look someday.

Mezmoron
RFG Friend

Stats
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 10:21:17 AM »

Pawn shops is where I get most of my good finds.  They don't know Super Mario Bros. versus Tengen Tetris.  Sometimes they know what they're doing, but most of them don't.

Ken

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Mezmoron.png[/img]
segasimon
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 03:46:36 PM »

have one near me, where the guy sells me what ever game they have for 3 dollers each, so you can get some good deals , but i have all they have to offer now!
I did pick up a sega cd working for ten from them.
Another pawn shop I picked up pirates gold boxed for about $4 I want to say, it was way cheap, felt like I had just won the lottery!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length