RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 09:22:06 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | CRT Discharge 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CRT Discharge  (Read 790 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« on: November 09, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »

I scavenged a Macintosh SE that someone was throwing away. It sounds like it works, but the CRT monitor doesn't. I've read some things that make me feel like fixing isn't too difficult, hopefully as easy as reheating some solder that might have gone "cold".

But I've read varying things about discharging a CRT monitor. Some who are skilled with electrical work and are scared to death to attempt this themselves, others who claim the warnings are greatly exaggerated and you will be fine as long as you follow some simple, but critical, steps.

Does anyone have experience in this? Can it be easily done as long as you're super careful? Will it evaporate me and my neighborhood if I mess up?
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:55 PM »

Discharging a monitor isn't difficult and the dangers are (slightly) exaggerated.  As long as you are careful, you will be fine.  There are tons of YouTube videos demonstrating the process.   Once the monitor is discharged, you are free to handle it without fear of shock.  Take lots of pictures of where all of the wires are plugged in so that you can put everything back together when you are done tinkering.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length