RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2024, 02:25:29 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Track your collection from the Magnavox Odyssey to Super Mario Odyssey!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Rereleases for the Atari 2600 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rereleases for the Atari 2600  (Read 1946 times)
Dav1d
N-Gage

Stats
« on: March 05, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »

How can you tell whether a game is a rerelease?
Missile command for the Atari 2600 for example.

I went to add a game and they also have three rereleases also.  I'm trying to collect all variations so how do you determine?
ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 01:32:18 PM »

The later rereleases don't have a dust cover (or in some cases they'll have a simple spring-loaded one) and have trapezoidal holes in the label.
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »

Note to everyone adding variations to the DB:
Variation pages are supposed to have that information(and/or images to showcase the differences) on the page itself or have a clear variation title to avoid this kind of confusion/questions.

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 11:07:20 AM »

Agreed - Rerelease means absolutely nothing to anyone. "White Label", "Made in Mexico Release" or "Rerelease - 1986" do. Wink

Dav1d
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 12:44:38 AM »

I have this problem with Intellivision also.  I have white label cib games, but no where on the box or cart does it say 1986 and yet that is when they where supposedly released.  Mine says 1982, data east etc...
nupoile
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2014 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 05:59:44 PM »

On the Intellivision you can't trust the boxes to be super helpful when being nit-picky on cartridge variations. There are often different numbers of boxes and carts for the same game. For example, there might be 7 box variants and 4 cart variants (for one game) but some of those carts might have used 3 or 4 boxes and shared boxes with 2 or 3 cart variants.

To clarify (maybe  Wink) a game might have shipped with carts a, b, c, d and boxes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Maybe cart "a" only came with box "1" but cart "b" might have used 2, 3 and 4, cart "c" 3, 4, 5 and 6, and cart "d" 3, 4 and 7.

I put this up in a blog of mine once because I have had some trouble cataloging my Intellivison collection and have been discovering why over time:
[img width=700 height=525]http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5539/10848152375_4f7f2edfb6_o.jpg[/img]
We were once having a discussion about the label variations on Intellivision games. There seems to be more different label variations on the carts then there are boxes. For any one game you might have one that says made in the USA, another made in Hong Kong and another that says nothing. I found this box were they put a sticker over the "made in USA" to make it be "made in Hong Kong."

Now that I re-read that, my example might be backwards  Roll Eyes, it's more likely there are more cart variants than box variants for a particular game, but hopefully you get the idea.

What is the solution to this? The best way to find out what carts came with what boxes is to open sealed games. At least you could say for sure that "this cart came with that box." A more likely solution we would use is to look at pictures on the internet, Ebay or whatever, if you see several examples of a certain box/cart combo it's likely right.

So responding to this statement:

I have this problem with Intellivision also.  I have white label cib games, but no where on the box or cart does it say 1986 and yet that is when they where supposedly released.  Mine says 1982, data east etc...
It' hard to know. Unless you bought the game new you don't know if the box you have even went with the cart you have. People swap in boxes all the time to make old games CIB. Sometimes even if you know you have the right box it might have a date on it from when they were shipping out an earlier variant of the cart. What is there to do? The best you can, I guess.
Dav1d
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »

I'm trying to every US game and variant ever released for the United States for every console.  Which will probably never happen haha.    Atari 2600 and Intellivision I think are the most difficult to determine.
Dav1d
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 08:49:37 PM »

While I'm on the topic could someone tell me how to tell the different part numbers for Alundra PS1? I think there are a few other games like that.
ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 04:19:30 PM »

That's because the white label games were released by INTV; 1986 was when they started rereleasing the Intellivision, and they decided to rerelease many of the games previously released by Mattel Electronics as well. INTV didn't really change the boxes a whole lot either, which is why they still have the old copyright dates.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 01:54:34 PM »

I'm trying to every US game and variant ever released for the United States for every console.  Which will probably never happen haha.    Atari 2600 and Intellivision I think are the most difficult to determine.

that's a lofty goal, i hope you have a warehouse and at least a million dollars Wink
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 02:17:50 PM »

Dav1d,
Trying to match "variants" to anything that was hand-packaged (pre-7800/NES era, or the advent of UPC utilization - not sure which) is a futile effort. I've seen 8-9 different variants of the Atari 2600 Combat cartridge, and almost all of them are due to printer differences. Match that with 3 box variants, and 6 manual variants (that I know of), and have fun trying to pair it all together. Cry

It's best to do anything from that era as "components" - just own every single component variant instead of trying to pair them all together.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 02:54:30 PM »

While I'm on the topic could someone tell me how to tell the different part numbers for Alundra PS1? I think there are a few other games like that.

Alundra variants are only obvious if you have the entire package.
The part numbers are on the spine/discs of all PS releases though

EDIT
Checked the Alundra H part number page.
It has the part number visible on the CD (kind of a poor quality pic tho) But i couldn't remember for sure if every one had different box/disc/insert art or not.
Working Designs likes to do that.

I believe Alundra was the one that you would only know which variant you had by opening it up and checking the disc/insert art. I don't have time to check entries A-H now to see if they all have images to verify but i do know that they were rather obvious differences i just can't remember what the specifics are.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 03:08:55 PM by Izret101 » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:11:05 PM »

Game-Rave plug:
http://www.game-rave.com/...dgames/alundra/index.html

The CD / Insert Relationship:
SLUS-00553 / PSRM-008940 = Cover Image / Crystal Dragon
SLUS-00553a / PSRM-008941 = Fire Dragon / Fire Wraith
SLUS-00553b / PSRM-008942 = Castle / Rock Lord
SLUS-00553c / PSRM-008943 = Bonaire / Steps of Inoa
SLUS-00553d / PSRM-008944 = Alundra & Girl / Reflection Pool
SLUS-00553e / PSRM-008945 = Face Shards / Map of Country
SLUS-00553f / PSRM-008946 = Huh?? / Huh??
SLUS-00553g / PSRM-008947 = Kline / Huh??
SLUS-00553h / PSRM-008948 = Septimus / HuhHuh

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 03:12:37 PM »

Variants suck LOL.....You know I had to say it.

ApolloBoy
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »

You think that's bad, try looking at European NES releases. I've been working on that side of the DB for a little while and my head's still spinning trying to make sense of them, especially the early stuff.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length