RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2024, 03:10:01 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Question for any GCN Gameboy Player owners/collectors.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question for any GCN Gameboy Player owners/collectors....  (Read 1146 times)
Orzunoid
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« on: May 11, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »

I've just learned about this wonderful piece of hardware and am really interested in picking one up for some classic GB and GBC playing.  I'd also like to have the option of firing up carts from other regions.  From what I understand, using the Gameboy Player is the best way to play GB/GBC/GBA games on a tv.  I also learned that it requires a "boot disc". 

My question for you experts out there is whether I need to get a Japanese "boot disc" to play the Japanese carts with the US/NA hardware?  Or would I have to buy a separate GBP for each region with its corresponding disc?  I'm not even sure if each region has it's own hardware but I suppose it shouldn't surprise me... thanks guys   Huh

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »

The boot discs are region coded to run on the gamecube, just like a normal GC game.

The GameBoy games have never been region locked, however the switch on the original fat Game Boy kept US players from sticking in Japanese cartridges.  DS is also region free.  DSi is the first Nintendo portable to be locked.

it's thinking
Orzunoid
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »

Ah thanks!  So, if I understand you correctly, I should be able to play GB carts from any region on a US/NA GBP with a US/NA boot disc as long as it's hooked up to a US/NA GCN.

OatBob
セガ 信者
DB Reviewer
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »

You got it.

it's thinking
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length