RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 05:19:36 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Animal Crossing 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Animal Crossing  (Read 1923 times)
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« on: March 01, 2013, 10:58:40 PM »

It comes a a surprise to some people, but my absolute favorite game of all time is animal Crossing for the Gamecube. It means a lot to me for personal reasons, but beyond that it's just a great game. are there any Animal Crossing fans on RF? I thought WW was ok, and City Folk was a big disappointment, but the original is still amazing.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 11:17:50 PM »

Animal Crossing is great. GOTTA REARRANGE THAT LIVING ROOM FOR A HIGH HRA SCORE! I loved how you could actually collect NES games in it too, and even actually play them.

I'm considering getting a 3DS just to play New Leaf.
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 11:29:50 PM »

Honestly, I think New Leaf looks like the best game in the series since the Gameube.

I never bothered with the HRA, I just made my house look like what I wanted it to, lol

Kabonk
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »

I enjoy the games quite a bit and look forward to the new 3ds version.

Animal Crossing always reminds me of this:
http://animalcrossingtragedy.ytmnd.com/
old I know, but always gets me

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/Kabonk.png[/img]
Rejinx
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 11:39:08 PM »

I will be come completely honest.  I have very little knowledge about Animal Crossing.  What makes it such a great game?

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=Rejinx[/img]
My Podcast: www.RetroRundown.com
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:39:29 PM »

i loved the gamecube one but haven't played any since
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:42:17 PM »

I will be come completely honest.  I have very little knowledge about Animal Crossing.  What makes it such a great game?

It's certainly a great game, but not for everyone. It's a game with no goals. You just live. You make friends, you fish - whatever. T's meant for relaxation purposes.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »

I love the game so much that I bought the N64 version, even though I can't read Japanese.  Cheesy

The series has meant a lot to myself and my family, and we own multiple copies of every game.  The main reason my Dad bought a 3DS was for New Leaf, and he's been bugging me about the release date (June 9th!) for years now.  I loved the GameCube version, and I loved Wild World, even though it wasn't as in-depth as the original.  I never got into City Folk, but my Dad kept a town going for a few years.  I can't wait for New Leaf.
Barracuda
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:18:05 AM »

I love the Gamecube version. My wife and I kept a town going for years. We tried the DS and Wii versions but they didn't have the same appeal for us. If the new one looks good it may get me to purchase a 3DS. I may actually go play some right now and spend an entire hour weeding the town.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »

Always seemed a bit too much like living my own life for me. Granted I was playing WoW 80 hours a week while it was popular.

When shall his new form be revealed?
SuperGamecube64
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »

Here is the story of what Animal Crossing means to me. This is copied and pasted from somewhere else I posted it a long time ago, so there may be a couple of typos or errors.

In 2002, I had just been placed in a private school - a very small one at that. I was about to be 13. There were only about 20 students. There was one that sat on my right. He was actually my cousin as it turned out, and lived on my road and yet we had never met. His name was Jeffrey. He didn't talk very much. He mostly just nodded or shrugged, and he seemed to get annoyed if I tried to actually carry on conversation with him. It took a few weeks, but eventually he did speak to me. At first, it was just one to three word phrases, and gradually he warmed up to me. We began to hang out at each others houses after school on a pretty much daily basis. We were both gamers and we were both getting Gamecubes that year for Christmas.

So, that September our school had a float in a local parade. All of the students were riding it except for us. I walked on one side of the float, and Jeffrey walked on the other as we threw out candy to the crowd. Something happened up ahead, and the parade came to a momentary stop. I relaxed, and shifted my weight onto one foot. I wasn't aware that it was directly in front of the float's wheel. When the parade began again - quite suddenly, I might add - my foot was broken under the wheel of the float. Pretty horrible, right? Well, everything happens for a reason and something good often comes out of a bad situation.

In the middle of November, my folks gave me a "sympathy gift" - a Nintendo Gamecube, and Super Smash Bros. Melee! I was ecstatic. I wasn't supposed to have this for another month and a half! Jeffrey and I spent hours a night playing Super Smash Bros., both competitively and co-operating to unlock everything. at this point in our lives, neither of us ever got on the internet to socialize or look up prerelease game information, so we had no clue who or what was in the game. All we knew was that it was amazing.

About a week after this, Jeffrey came over holding a new game - Animal Crossing. "Why did you buy that? You won't have a Gamecube for a month." I asked, with a bit of a chuckle. "It was only $30 and I figured we could just play it on yours. You can play first since it's your system." he said as he tore into the packaging. We quickly swapped Melee's red and black disc for Animal Crossing's lime green one. When I first began playing, we laughed at the simple graphics. We joked that it looked like a Nintendo 64 game. We were completely oblivious to the reality that it was, in fact, a Nintendo 64 game at that time. I named my character "Caleb" after myself. I can't recall what I named my town. I chose a house, and played for about half an hour before saving, and handing the controller to Jeffrey. We talked about how charming the game was, and I mentioned that it seemed addictive (boy was that an understatement).

After he played for about 45 minutes or so, we went back to playing Melee for the night. When he got ready to leave, he left Animal Crossing for me to enjoy. It wasn't like he could play it anyway. I quickly bought my own copy of the game, and returned Jeffrey's. I started a new town on the memory card included, and told Jeffrey about my experiences almost constantly. It probably irked him a bit, because by the time he had a Gamecube, his manual was wrinkled from reading it near constantly.

That day finally did come, though. When it did, the game became an obsession. It was basically all we ever talked about or did. We discovered the code system and started sending each other random items all the time just because we were intrigued by it. You know those pages in the backs of manuals with a notes section that you never use? Well, we used them in our Animal Crossing booklets. Every morning before school, we would swap manuals, and there would be new codes for us to enter when we got home. It didn't stop there, we called each other on the phone with codes all the time too.

This went on for some time. I don't think we even considered putting the game down for about 2 or 3 years. The day finally did come where Jeffrey stopped playing. I didn't quit though. In face, until about a year ago, I still played pretty regularly. About 2 years ago, I was helping Jeffrey move his television. Once we had it moved, and moved the entertainment center, we discovered 2 Gamecube memory cards underneath. One of them was his Animal Crossing card. He asked me if I still played, and I said yes, he gave me the memory card that still had his original town on it. It has a simple, corny name - J Town. I'm sure you get it. I never deleted the data. I still have the card, and occasionally load up his town just because.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »

@supergamecube64 that's an awesome story Smiley a lot of people seem to have sentimental attachment to this game
Am4zingGam3r
Sega 32X
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 11:46:24 PM »

Love me some Animal Crossing!!!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length