RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 27, 2024, 11:58:34 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Playstation database standards 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Playstation database standards  (Read 1686 times)
Bildtstar
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DB Editor
Netherlands

Stats
« on: February 25, 2012, 06:30:48 AM »

Looking at the Playstation database I noticed some things aren't always done the same way. Maybe it's no big deal, but one of the things I like about the RFG database is it's clean and arranged look. If we can make some things standard, I think this will make the database even look better. Here are some examples.

Playstation part#'s: with or without the - mark?
Examples from the database:
* SLES-00001
* SLES 00001
* SLES00001

Multiple part#'s(for games with more than one game disc): only list the first, list all, and how?
* SCES-82011
* SCES-82011; SCES-82012
* SCES-82011, SCES-82012
* SCES-82011 / SCES-82012
* SCES-82011 + SCES-82012

Publisher / Developer names: full name or short (or both)
* SCEE
* Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
* Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE)

Players: for more than 2 players you always need one or two multitaps, but is it necessary to mention?
* 1-2 players
* 1 or 2
* 1-4
* 1-4 (multitap)
* 1-8
* 1-8 (2x multitap)

There may be more things that could be made standard, but these I run into quite often. Any ideas?

Oh No! More Lemmings Skylanders...
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »

Perhaps we should follow the Japanese standard on Part #s? They already have a standard for multiple Part #s on disks.
Also, we have to have a standard on the Publisher/Developer names if possible. I was the one switching the SCEE stuff over.

Not sure about players, but it shouldn't have the word players in it.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:11:30 AM »

These aren't just standards for Playstation, there are many others. Defined standards for fields would be nice.

I also wonder if instead of a text entry field for Players if there could just be a drop down with choices. I would think that it would only need 1-16, and then probably a MMO option. I know there are a few non-MMO games that support online play up to around 64 players, but once we pass a reasonable number I don't see the value in listing it.

Maybe this thread should be merged with: http://www.rfgeneration.c....php?topic=9389.msg138304

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »

Nah. That thread would fill up really quickly with anything like that. It's mostly just for bringing up things that are broken or feature requests - individual threads are more for discussion.

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:35:09 AM »

My general rule of thumb is to add things to the DB as they are on the game and/or the case.

* SLES-00001
* SLES 00001
* SLES00001
From what I've seen, the - is included on the case/disc 99% of the time, so I've put it in even if it isn't included on the game/case.

Multiple part#'s(for games with more than one game disc): only list the first, list all, and how?
* SCES-82011
* SCES-82011; SCES-82012
* SCES-82011, SCES-82012
Separating them with a / seems to the easiest to read and the most common I see already being used in the DB.

Publisher / Developer names: full name or short (or both)
* SCEE
* Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
* Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE)

The full name is the way to go, putting the abbreviation in parentheses is OK, but not really necessary.
Players: for more than 2 players you always need one or two multitaps, but is it necessary to mention?
* 1-2 players
* 1 or 2
* 1-4
* 1-4 (multitap)
* 1-8
* 1-8 (2x multitap)
The word "players" should never be included, and it shouldn't be "1 or 2" or "1 and 2" or anything like that. Saying (multitap) isn't necessary because it should be obvious that if the console only supported 2 players, you'll need the multitap to support more than 2 players. If its an online and offline game, I like when people do something like 1-2 (2-32 online).

These aren't just standards for Playstation, there are many others. Defined standards for fields would be nice.

I also wonder if instead of a text entry field for Players if there could just be a drop down with choices. I would think that it would only need 1-16, and then probably a MMO option. I know there are a few non-MMO games that support online play up to around 64 players, but once we pass a reasonable number I don't see the value in listing it.

Maybe this thread should be merged with: http://www.rfgeneration.c....php?topic=9389.msg138304
The only problem with that is there would be so many options for players, and its kind of a pain to add new options to fields like that.

aeroc
DB Contributor

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:33:32 PM »

* SCES-82011
* SCES-82011; SCES-82012
* SCES-82011, SCES-82012

For multi-disc Playstation games I like the way the Japanese market games are labeled: SCES-82011~12. I've been following that standard.

Also sometimes there is a sub-part number, Konami likes to do this ( VXxxx-J1) and then they put the Sony part number in parantheses. I normally put the parantheses around the sub-part number and take the Sony part number out of parantheses, like this:

http://www.rfgeneration.c...nfo.pl?ID=J-061-S-01590-A
Sirgin
DB Reviewer
Belgium
Awards: 2016 & 2018 Fantasy Football Winner

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 02:55:02 PM »

* SLES-00001
* SLES 00001
* SLES00001
From what I've seen, the - is included on the case/disc 99% of the time, so I've put it in even if it isn't included on the game/case.

(Highlight mine)

That is the way it should be. The reason why the "-" is sometimes forgotten is because on PS2 spines, the part number is layed out on two lines, like:
SLES
which would make one think the - shouldn't be there. But the - should always be there.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length