RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2024, 03:24:20 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | Collection website 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Collection website  (Read 2038 times)
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« on: December 19, 2007, 01:00:43 PM »

Many people use websites like this one to keep track of, show the internet communities their collections and collaborate on games. I've been busy over the last year consistantly taking classes, working and doing various activities having the lack of time to really keep track of what I've been buying lately. I cleared out my collection database on here and a few other places so I could start from point 1 and expand back out over winter break to having the entire current collection list online.

In my sig I have a link "Check out my domain" that is made of frames and is just a pain in the ass to deal with really (I script my pages in notepad) and isn't appealing to look at in my opinion. The other thing is it only covers games, which I've as of earlier this year have gotten into music collecting and would like to have a section dedicated to that and my anime + movies. So with a limited bandwidth through my ISP I'd need to use repetitive images if implemented and am limited to html/css as they don't support server side operations.

So to the reasoning of the post and why I'm posting it in here, what are people's suggestions to website designs for organizing a game/music/movie collection? What are some appealing colors and methods of browsing a dedicated collection website? I'd like to have a basic thread to recieve feedback on its layout and whatnot along with new suggestions to eventually have a good and up-to-date website that's managable.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 01:03:27 PM by cyberfluxor » Logged

Collecting CIB 5200 Atari and Sega Saturn games.
Check out my domain
I will purge your base for resources.
gorez
N-Gage
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 03:13:13 PM »

Im in the same boat as you about starting from point 1.  I got my database on here cleared and have been recounting all of my games and putting it in my personal catalog (excel workbook).  I just got lazy and havent been typing in everything I have bought/sold.   Should be back to normal after christmas though.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »

I've been struggling with this as well. I have my games logged here. I love the way our collection tool is set up. I've never seen another even close to that of RFG. I have a rather disorganized site of my own that I'd like to at some point be able to list my game collection as well as some of my other collections. Movies, music, books, toys and such.

Tan
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2007, 03:55:33 PM »

I've been struggling with this as well. I have my games logged here. I love the way our collection tool is set up. I've never seen another even close to that of RFG. I have a rather disorganized site of my own that I'd like to at some point be able to list my game collection as well as some of my other collections. Movies, music, books, toys and such.

Yeah I hear you there. I have hundreds of Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels and I know Scott does as well. So many things collected, so few ways other than checklists and spreadsheets to catalog them. Tongue
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2007, 04:04:55 PM »

I guess it depends on what you're going for. Are you just wanting lists? Do you want scans with an area for descriptions? I like the set up at http://www.segagagadomain.com/ and while this may take more space and bandwidth than you are allowed it's pretty nice.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »

I do like what's going on with the segagagadomain and I've been going there for over a year to read reviews and check out screenshots of imports. Also the guy that runs the site is really nice, however it's not what I'd want my site to look like.

The latest idea I was tossing around was have tabs at the top organizing Music, Games, Movies and Anime. Then each one of those would bring you to a page broken down by Genre, System, Genre and Era respectively. Then clicking on a further options brings you to the list discibed by what you've selected with links leading to this site and others to reference the master lists, collection pictures and other things. Of course I will be filling out spread sheets on the side for personal records and updating my list on here as I finish each console.

Check out my domain
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 07:22:02 PM »

Kind of like my pal Steve and his review site? His is just a template that his host has IIRC.

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/

Slowly building an ammo fort.
cyberfluxor
Jaguar CD

WWW Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 12:51:02 PM »

Kind of like my pal Steve and his review site? His is just a template that his host has IIRC.

http://www.rvgfanatic.com/
Well, I like the overall layout but for the entire menu to be on the left isn't organized to the extent I'd need. If that layout were used it'd need tabs at the top seperating Games, Music and Video sections then having categories on the left and finally lists in the middle.

Check out my domain
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2007, 06:52:43 PM »

Yeah I hear you there. I have hundreds of Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels and I know Scott does as well. So many things collected, so few ways other than checklists and spreadsheets to catalog them. Tongue

I have a list for all my stuff but my CD's. Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length