RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 06, 2024, 09:13:05 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | DVDs with games? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: DVDs with games?  (Read 3990 times)
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »

Proposed working guideline for DVDs containing game content.
Last modified 01-Jul-07, 12:00 PM EST

DVDs With Included Game Content
The following guideline is to be used when adding a DVD movie that contains game content.

• DB Entry Location
    • DVDs containing either a complete game, or demo of one, should be listed under the technology required to play the respective game (i.e. PC, Microsoft XBox, etc.). 
    • The game should be listed as a Variation of an exiting game title in the database - never as a new/separate entry. 
    • If the included game content is a Demo, it should be designated as such using the Genre field.

Naming Standards
      • The Title of the game should always be the name of the actual game. 
      • The Variation Title should list the name of the DVD that contains said game content.
      • Text for listing the DVD under the Variation Title should by formated as follows:

DVD type & " - " & DVD movie title & " - " & Screen Res
        DVD type = DVD (standard DVD), DVDHD (HDDVD) or DVDBLU (Blu-ray DVD)
        Screen Res = FS (Full Screen) or WS (Wide Screen)

Example Entry
      • The game in this example is "Bloodrayne 2", contained on the DVD movie "Bloodrayne".
      • Technology required for game play = PC.  This game would be listed as a variation of the existing DB entry for the game "Bloodrayne 2" in the PC console section.
      • The Variation Title of this entry would be DVD - Bloodrayne - WS.
      • The completed entry would appear in the DB as Bloodrayne 2DVD - Bloodrayne - WS, as a variation of the existing PC game.

Let me know everyone's thoughts and suggestions on this guideline.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:05:23 AM by marriott_guy » Logged

Izret101
    Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
    Director
    United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 04:34:10 AM »

But what should the title for the entry be?
    Should it be the title of the DVD with the name of the game/demo in the alternate title field?

Should multiple DVD versions be added?
    WideScreen/FullScreen/etc?

Should the variants of the DVD be ignored because the game they are packaged with is completely the same?

It is important because these demos are part of the same disc the DVD is on. They are not a seperate DVD in the case.(Bloodrayne does have its own film and PC CD/DVD-Rom)

Marriott_Guy
    Console Librarian
    RFG Friend
    United States

WWW Stats
    « Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 11:06:03 AM »

The Title for the entry would be the game - this would not change due to the proposal in the guideline that these should always be listed as a variation of an existing DB entry - never as a new entry.  The Variation

But what should the title for the entry be?
    Should it be the title of the DVD with the name of the game/demo in the alternate title field?

The Title for the entry would be the game - this would not change due to the proposal in the guideline that these should always be listed as a variation of an existing DB entry - never as a new entry.  The Variation field would list the DVD that contains the game/demo.

Should multiple DVD versions be added?
    WideScreen/FullScreen/etc?
    Yes - this could be easily supported.

Should the variants of the DVD be ignored because the game they are packaged with is completely the same?
    I don't think so, simply because we already list a number of games that have the same game content, but are a variation of an existing release (i.e. Greatest Hits releases).

It is important because these demos are part of the same disc the DVD is on. They are not a seperate DVD in the case.(Bloodrayne does have its own film and PC CD/DVD-Rom)
      I agree.

I have updated the proposed guideline above to reflect the items/points that you have raised.  Let me know what you think Iz and if the modification to it addresses your points.

Tan
    « Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 11:37:25 AM »

The title should be the movie with the game in another field. Remember these are movies with game demos not game demos with movies on them. Maybe it would be better off to have a section dedicated to paraphernalia.

It doesn't seem right to list a full retail movie with special features and/or collectors disc set as a demo. It also doesn't seem right to have to put a gaming related movie/demo under say Xbox, if someone doesn't care for the demo aspect but owns the Doom3 game for the PC and owns the DVD as a collector piece/companion. I think that applies to soundtracks as well. A separate section really does apply here.

Also let's not forget the multiple variants of each, I imagine the database would fill quickly with widescreen, 1 disc, 2 disc, region 1 region 2 etc etc. That's not really the way I envisioned RFGen reaching 30k games.
    « Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:39:11 AM by Tan » Logged
    Marriott_Guy
    Console Librarian
    RFG Friend
    United States

WWW Stats
    « Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »

Tan.

I can understand your point.  So, for the time being, all movies containing game content (full game or demo) should not be listed at all in the DB and we'll table this until further discussion takes place concerning a new 'paraphernalia' section.  Let me know if this encompasses your thoughts.

Tan
    « Reply #20 on: July 01, 2007, 03:28:15 PM »

Especially if this opens the floodgates for calls to include magazines with demo discs, soundtracks, gaming comics, manga, gaming novels etc etc. A movie is a different form of media than a game, soon enough other forms will follow.

Best to set up a database that can handle all forms of collectable gaming items, even action figures, board games, strat guides and others. As long as the list stays separate from the games list of course and that it stays solely gaming related.

If anyone has these kind of items or others I didn't mention and would be interested in seeing these things in a database I suggest you post your thoughts on the what and the how. This discussion is in the public forums for both staff and members alike to participate in.

Izret101
    Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
    Director
    United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 10:58:08 AM »

Works for me Smiley

Just glad to finally have gotten a solution rather than haphazardly add this stuff.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length