RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 07, 2024, 07:16:43 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Hey, you're finally aw- NO TODD HOWARD! NOT HERE!

RF Generation Message Board | Announcements and Feedback | Announcements and Feedback | Barcode & UPC Code entries 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Barcode & UPC Code entries  (Read 1857 times)
Tan
« on: June 19, 2007, 12:49:31 AM »

As part of an ongoing effort to bring more uniformity to the database we are going to set a few standards by which information will be entered. Nothing complicated just stuff that will make sure everyone is on the same page and hopefully make things easier and faster for all. Also it messes up the barcode search having two types.

Right now we have two methods of entering Barcodes/UPC codes, 0 45496 68473 1 and 045496684731.

To make things easier for all we'd like everyone to start submitting Barcodes/UPC codes like this: 045496684731. Sections will be edited to reflect this and we encourage members to submit game edits removing the spaces from Barcodes/UPC codes wherever and whenever they can. Same applies to the staff for both their own submissions and when reviewing others.

Thank you
Keith
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 09:20:45 AM by Tan » Logged
TraderJake
Retired Lord of the Forum
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 07:31:39 AM »

Please do what Tan says, it'll make things better if and when I implement a script that actually generates the barcode. Additionally, there really are no spaces in UPCs, regardless of the fact that the barcode number shows spaces. I assure youthat if you entered a UPC with spaces in a POS machine the register would give an error.

POS: Point of Sale

Hello World.
Funk_Buddy
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 08:21:44 AM »

Also, no letters.

What about when there are extra numbers? Sometimes there are two barcodes on a box.

Maybe it should be changed to barcode since as mentioned before they are called different things in different areas.

Slowly building an ammo fort.
Tan
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 09:18:30 AM »

Good point about the name, I hadn't thought of that.  Smiley
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:29:15 AM »

I've mentioned this before, but for the time being assume UPC says Barcode.

Hello World.
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 05:14:31 PM »

We could probably add a routine to validate the entry when it's entered.  I am pretty sure UPC and EAN both can be validated with a checkdigit routine.  I don't know if there are other barcodes out there but for them it would allow us to check for errors on entry.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
TraderJake
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »

^What he said. Since I intend on actually generating a real barcode there will be some wonderful validation going on.

Hello World.
bum-man
RFG Friend
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 08:15:04 AM »

Cool, I wasn't sure if your plan was just to render and image of the barcode on the game page or if there was more to it.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=bum-man[/img]
I need more room for all my $#!%
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length