RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2024, 02:47:49 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Trophies From the Hunt | Rare Console Find IV & V 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rare Console Find IV & V  (Read 1900 times)
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« on: June 01, 2007, 05:08:38 PM »

Hello all.

First I want to let everyone know that I am not bragging about the additions to my collection in these posts.  I am only listing them for the purpose of providing interesting information on some odd systems/consoles that most of us have not heard of or have seen. 

The first console pictured in this post is the Tomy Pyuuta.  This was a system released in Japan in 1982, and eventually in the USA (Tomy Tutor) and Europe (Grandstand Tutor) in 1983.  Though resembling a Magnavox Odyssey 2 system, this was extremely different.  Sporting Mattel Intellivision style controllers, the system plays cartridges as well as a built-in operating system (a form of BASIC).   With this in mind, this system is much more comparable to a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A system, and Tomy actually partnered with TI on some of the components (though the architecture of the processor/games are completely different).

The second console pictured is the FM Towns Marty 2.  This system was only released in Japan in 1993.  The successor to the FM Towns Marty, this featured a processor that was almost 486 MHz, but was really a 386 DX on steroids.  The neat thing about this system is that it had on-line compabilities and numerous technical upgrades to it's processing power.  The libray of games is pretty extensive for this system since it is backward compatible with any game from the FM Towns line of PCs (note the CD-ROM drive and the floppy disk).

Pictures are of the actual systems I purchased.

* TOMY_Pyuuta_7A.jpg (99.51 KB, 750x562 - viewed 340 times.)

* TOMY_Pyuuta_7C.jpg (82.82 KB, 750x562 - viewed 333 times.)

* 2378_12.jpg (22.81 KB, 500x375 - viewed 337 times.)

Moriya Hanzo
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 05:12:37 PM »

Man brag  on, it is so nice to see what the industry was like 20 years ago and what the JP market had to offer when it comes to systems.

Grim Fandango
Sega 32X

Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2007, 05:28:09 PM »

FM Towns Marty is slick

[img width=300 height=225]http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4282/supcatwv6.jpg[/img]

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/banners.php?banner=collectionstats;user=wallydawg[/img]
Marriott_Guy
Console Librarian
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 05:52:34 PM »

Thanks guys.  Unfortunately, I am at the age where I was alive when these rare consoles and older items were released.  They are kind of cool since it does kind of map out how far the gaming industry has gone - not only the successes, but also the many systems that might had been failures, but have collaterally changed the various gaming platforms through the times.

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 01:07:39 PM »

Very nice stuff man!

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats