RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2024, 06:03:54 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: It's not the size of the collection, it's how you store it!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | Spawn 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spawn  (Read 8258 times)
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« on: July 14, 2004, 04:23:19 AM »

This movie is AWFUL.  If you haven't seen it, stay far, far away.  I've never read any of the Spawn comics, so I can't comment on how it compares as far as accuracy goes, but the movie is terrible.  The acting is third-rate, the CG sequences look worse than the digitized Street Fighter: The Movie arcade game, and the storyline just plain sucks.  Spawn's costume also looks incredibly ridiculous in the movie - not 100% pure Colombian badass, like in the comics and McFarlane figures.

Has anyone seen Spawn 2 or Spawn 3?  Any better than this one I hope?

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2004, 10:16:05 AM »

i didnt even now there was a Spawn 2 and 3 im gonna have to look into that
but the first movie did suck, the comics were much better and Spawn could have been way better in Soul Calibur 2. Mcfarlen also did the designs for Necrid in that game.

Mike Leon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2004, 08:45:32 AM »

There are animated Spawn 2 and 3 but there are no sequels to the live action movie. This is due to it's extreme suckage.

I could stand to have my Wii serviced right about now.
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 09:16:58 AM »

So was there an animated Spawn 1 then?  (I only knew about the animated series.) If so, was that any good?

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2004, 10:51:47 AM »

The Spawn comics weren't even very good. I was still collecting comics at the time Spawn was... spawned, heh heh. This was back in the early 90's. Todd McFarlane was doing the art for Amazing Spiderman and was hugely popular. Then Marvel gave him his own NEW Spiderman title that he wrote as well. Titled simply "Spiderman".

After a while even that wasn't enough for old Todd. He wasn't happy with having to deal with the Marvel Universe continuity and the characters back history. He wanted to have complete creative control. Well as Spidey is basically the icon of Marvel comics Marvel said no, you taken many liberties but there are restrictions on what you can do, like it or not.

So Todd and several of Marvel's other hot at the time artists went off to form a new comic company. Image Comics. Spawn was the flagship title. Image was notorious for missing scheduled release dates. Some of the other Marvel artists that were part of Image were Jim Lee (wildcats), Rob Liefeld (youngblood), Erik Larson (Savage Dragon) and Sam Keith (the Maxx) there were others too.

Like McFarlane, these guys were all great artists but they couldn't write worth a lick. Eventually some of them like Rob Liefeld came back to Marvel. A bunch of Marvel's core titles were cancelled and restarted with issue #1 for these guys. I know Liefeld got Captain America. That's when I bailed on the comics scene.

blech.... anyway Spawn sucks!

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2004, 06:24:57 PM »

i just liked the general idea of him coming back from hell and being a antihero.... i think thats what he is? isnt he? a good bad guy Huh what the hell i give up he sucked but had tons of potential hows that?

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 10:49:22 AM »

I use to read Spawn, but I stopped when I read an issue and they said that he used 50% of all of the power that he had and could never get it back.  This was in like issue 40 or something too.  I just couldn't see anywhere that the series could go from there that would intrest me.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2004, 03:04:50 PM »

i was just in a comic shop yesterday spawn has i think 3 diferent mags and it looked like there were around 100 per series but i could be wrong there might be many more and there also might be more series

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length