RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2024, 04:50:03 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Media Room (Moderator: wildbil52) | My new guitar 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: My new guitar  (Read 3395 times)
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:15:36 PM »

For years now, I've been asking my dad to get his old guitar out of the attic, and for no apparent reason, today was the day he got it down for me. It's not in too bad shape considering it's been in the attic for 20 years.  That's 20 times it's been frozen and 20 times it's been over 100 degrees.  There's just a little bit of corrosion that shouldn't be too hard to scrub off and of course the strings are all shot.  The back piece has some cracks around the screws, but should be fine. 
Anyway, it's a National Val Pro, he thinks it's a 1964, but that may be a year or two off. 

[img width=604 height=800]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/IM001514.jpg[/img]
[img width=604 height=800]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/IM001515.jpg[/img]
[img width=604 height=800]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/IM001516.jpg[/img]
[img width=700 height=528]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Mike_2_0_0_6/IM001517.jpg[/img]

Anyway, I'm pretty excited.  I've always wanted to learn how to play and this should be a good one to start on.  I'll probably go pick up some strings tomorrow after school. 

It's also apparently fairly collectible, I saw some similar models going from $500-$1500, but I couldn't find one identical.

If anyone knows something about it (info is scarce online) or any tips on what strings (or other accessories I need) I should buy, please let me know. 

den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 09:11:33 AM »

that thing is sweet looking. very unique body shape. I've never seen one.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:44:40 AM »

Very interesting shape there. I like it a lot. Now put a screwdriver under the strings and go all Thurston Moore on it.

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 12:27:46 PM »

Thanks for the comments, I love the colors too.  It's definitely the color scheme I would have chosen if I had  bought it new 40 years ago laugh 
I was going to buy some strings today, but while eating my breakfast I happened to glance in a coupon booklet and in there was an ad for the music store I was going to buy strings for.  There was also a "free set of guitar strings" coupon.  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't even have to buy anything, I showed the guy the coupon and he handed me a basket of strings that I could choose from. 

I'm kind of worried that it may not work though, I plugged it into the amp that was with it, but nothing happened. But that may have been because the plugs are all taped together or the amp is just not working.  I then tried plugging it directly into my stereo but again nothing happened, but I don't even know if that would work.  Or it may because the strings were so bad.  Or, because I have no idea what the knobs do.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:40:43 PM »

Gnarly

When shall his new form be revealed?
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »

clean off all the corrosion before you try it again. it may not be getting any juice. I can't imagine it would be too hard to find a place to repair it if it does need some parts replaced. around here there's guitar shops all over the place.

Tondog
:3
RFG Friend
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »

I was going to buy some strings today, but while eating my breakfast I happened to glance in a coupon booklet and in there was an ad for the music store I was going to buy strings for.  There was also a "free set of guitar strings" coupon.  I couldn't believe it.
NICE! Isn't that just amazing?

[img width=550 height=125]http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/profile/Tondog.png[/img]
Black Flower Music Podcast - Like that annoying elitist hipster guy you know, except in podcast form.
Follow me on Twitter
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 03:09:11 PM »

I was going to buy some strings today, but while eating my breakfast I happened to glance in a coupon booklet and in there was an ad for the music store I was going to buy strings for.  There was also a "free set of guitar strings" coupon.  I couldn't believe it.
NICE! Isn't that just amazing?
It is amazing, it was like a sign from the rock gods. I couldn't believe it, I read the coupon probably 100 times to make sure it was real. But I'm definitely going to start looking at that booklet more often, who knows what I've been missing. 

Sauza12
DB Contributor
Awards: 06 RFG Baseball Winner

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »

Very nice guitar!  Wish I could find a guitar from that time period for under 1 quadrillion dollars  Tongue.

It looks like there is a bit of corrosion on the pick up.  You may need to replace that if you want to get proper sound out of it.  I don't think that's the reason that you aren't getting anything when you plug it into the amp though.  It probably just needs some wires re-soldered.

What kind of amp was with it? 
NES_Rules
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:47:38 PM »

I got it working.  The pickup is corroded pretty bad and I was able to get the majority of it off, but it looks like I will have to live with it.  I don't think it's bad enough to affect the sound, just the way it looks. I put the new strings on and it does work fine.  I guess the old corroded strings were what was making it not work.  I'm having trouble getting it tuned though, I guess I'll need to buy an electronic tuner. 

The amp is an old Danelectro Viscount model 143.  It's not the best looking thing in the world, but it gets the job done. 

And you can get one for less than 1 quadrillion, there's a nice '56 Stratocaster on eBay BIN only $49,500. laugh 

Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »

That looks awesome! I like the shape and color.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length