RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 06:25:01 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: We really love that Sega Dreamcast fishing controller and Sega Bass Fishing.

RF Generation Message Board | Other | Idle Chatter | weird web server question for Eddie 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: weird web server question for Eddie  (Read 1777 times)
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« on: February 15, 2006, 08:13:25 AM »

my company just got a new web server and we have discovered an odd problem. there are several image files that have disappeared. the strange thing is we can't put them back. I can add them to the Admin catalog image directory where all the graphics reside but as soon as I refresh or publish the live catalog they disappear again.

when I view the error log they get reported as "file access denied". all the images in question are part of standard catalog templates.

any clues?

Hydrobond
+5 Insightful
PlayStation
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 09:10:11 AM »

Im guessing this is a Linux/UNIX server.  

If so, you will need to CHMOD the image files.  I forget all the apropriate permissions, but something like CHMOD 755 <filename> will do the trick.  If there is a system admin or someone like that, they may be able to help you out with the exact CHMOD that will suffice on a web server.  If not, there's always wiki. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod

I never proofread before hitting the submit button, this is why every single one of my posts has been edited in the first minute after being submitted.
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 12:25:26 PM »

tried that. that wasn't the problem. my first thought was that it had something to do with permissions as well.

The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 12:54:23 PM »

Wouldn't this be better in the thread that Eddie looks at?

When shall his new form be revealed?
St0rmTK421
The Black Perl
Director

Stats
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:24:47 AM »

Are the pictures even getting uploaded correctly?  After you upload them open a web browser and type in the URL and see if they show up.  If they are not getting uploaded it the first place, it's probably something in the server.  Either you might not have permission to upload to that directory or maybe you went over your space limit.

If they are getting uploaded, but publishing the page is getting rid of them, there may be something in the publishing program that is deleting unused files.  Those are my only two guesses going from what you said happened.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
We will always keep it on channel 3!
den68
loves White Castle!
DB Contributor

Stats
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 04:12:51 PM »

they do get uploaded. I can see them in the file directory, but only until I publish. that whacks them. I'm guessing it's a permissions issue.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length