RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2024, 05:25:21 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Thinking of Buying a Gaming Laptop 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Thinking of Buying a Gaming Laptop  (Read 6345 times)
JerryGreenwood
Do you even Sega?
Donor

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »

I have a lot of research to do...

I have a generic question if anyone can give a quick answer. Is there any insight into how the networks for online gaming will evolve in the next couple of years for PC or PS4? Are they projected to become equals, will they always be slightly different?
I've read a lot about how bad the net code for Street Fighter 4 is on PC and that PS3 and Xbox360 blow it out of the water when it comes to online play.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 03:44:34 PM »

i don't know about specific titles like that, but for the most part PC is always better than console online because a lot of competitive multiplayer games use dedicated servers instead of peer to peer matchmaking. i think some console games have this, but the majority are peer to peer, just like some PC games are peer to peer but the majority use dedicated servers.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 04:04:57 PM »

I have a lot of research to do...

I have a generic question if anyone can give a quick answer. Is there any insight into how the networks for online gaming will evolve in the next couple of years for PC or PS4? Are they projected to become equals, will they always be slightly different?
I've read a lot about how bad the net code for Street Fighter 4 is on PC and that PS3 and Xbox360 blow it out of the water when it comes to online play.

The "net code" for PC has greatly improved, to the point where some professional players have been moving to it.

There's one important thing to remember - PC doesn't have the same overbearing quality control that consoles do. It means that quality of games can wildly differ, but it often means that PC gets the benefit of the doubt since changes can be turned around much quicker, and you'll have the ability to mod your title, which isn't something that's possible to do on console due to security and other reasons. Also - most AAA titles use PC as a testbed, which means you often get the developer tools with bigger PC titles.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length