RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2024, 03:10:10 AM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | dopamine 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: dopamine  (Read 1018 times)
gbpxl
Virtual Boy

WWW Stats
« on: December 26, 2014, 10:10:13 PM »

is that the reason why we collect?

It really is an addiction for me. Even as I type this I am resisting the urge to splurge LOL. The money is in my bank account and the listing is there but I'm really just trying to focus on putting money away for a rainy day. I heard that you should have 3-6 month's worth of income as an emergency fund. At the moment I have about 0-1 LOL.

Another thing that makes it hard for me is the whole "if you don't buy it now, the listing might not be there later" and I think that's one reason why eBay is so successful. I see a ton of good prices on things I want but I am always worried I'm not going to find them again. I am glad that I secured some of the more sought after titles early this year because I have noticed that the prices have gone up a bit and the listings are a bit more scarce.

When I press those buttons and it tells me "you won this item" I know that there's a chemical reaction in brain associated with reward that is going off- I get the same feeling when I see the package in my mailbox, and when I first open it. Then it sits on my shelf collecting dust for eternity LOL. I do play all of the games I buy, but I don't finish them. I play them until they become too frustrating then they go back on the shelf.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this Smiley

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »

I'm guilty of getting so caught up in the hunt, I frequently neglect to stop for a moment and actually play the stuff I find. It doesn't help when there are over a dozen thrifts within a ten minute drive, and weekend yard sales are plentiful year-'round. The thrill of the hunt, combined with the anticipation of stumbling across the coolest thing ever during the hunt, is a big thing with me. And boy, do I find some cool things. It doesn't help that I don't really focus on any particular type of games or hardware; I'll snap up just about anything and everything that looks like it'd be fun to play and/or tinker with.

UPDATE: this topic reminded me of an article about the "tyranny of choice" that I feel reflects my collecting predicament:

http://biopsychiatry.com/happiness/choice.html
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 11:09:06 PM by Zagnorch » Logged
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 10:01:05 AM »

The reason we do pretty much everything is chemical/electrical reactions in our body. Collecting video games is no exception.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length