RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2024, 05:17:59 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | PSP Launch Day - how'd it do? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: PSP Launch Day - how'd it do?  (Read 4180 times)
CatchFiveBats
3DO
United States

Stats
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 12:15:35 PM »

I still think DS is wayyy better than PSP.

- Zac
Antimind
Co-Founder
Canada

WWW Stats
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 02:48:34 AM »

I still think the DS is better than the PSP and I haven't even opened mine yet! That's exactly why too. Cause I couldn't wait to get home and play my DS. I've had my PSP for a week now and it's still sealed, laying on the floor in the GameStop bag.

[img width=406 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/yabbattach/lordnep.gif[/img]
Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 03:50:51 PM »

Rather than start a new thread.
http://www.gamespot.com/n...5/03/25/news_6121092.html
This is probably old news too as i seem to be good at hearing about things long after they are in the news.

Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 04:01:26 PM »

Well that was only posted a few days ago.  I was just reading a similar article on IGN earlier today.  I dunno if that one talks about Nintendo or not, but the same thing has been happening with DS's (obviously - they too are LCD's).  It kinda surprises me that neither Nintendo nor Sony came up with a plan on how to deal with the issue before the systems shipped.

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 08:16:54 PM »

I was at Best Buy on Saturday, and witness the most interesting thing:

Right when you walk in the door is a big tented area showcasing the PSP.  It was empty.  Barren.  Lifeless.  I didn't really think much about it.  I went in the store, bought my DVD-Rs, and on my way out I noticed a Nintendo DS table with about 10 people standing around watching 2 DS's being played saying how awesome it was.  I giggled to myself, and proceeded towards the exit door and noticed the PSP tent, once again, completely empty.  

I think that speaks VOLUMES about the PSP's future.  It's too much gimmick and Sony proprietary crap for it's own good.  Why would you get a PSP when you can get a DS and like 8 games for the same price?  And honestly, to the naked eye, the graphics are pretty much indistinguishable between the two systems.  The DS already has a library of... god knows how many games if you take into account the DS's backward compatability.  The PSP?  You can already play all it's games on the PS2 - for less than half the price on a big screen TV with surround sound!  

So far the PSP is failing worse than I thought it would.  I kinda thought it would sell like crazy the first few months, then die off afterwards.  So far it hasn't even sold!  Now that's funny.  I think I'll pick my PSP up in a year when Sony discontinues it and it sells for $150.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Sureshot
CD-i

Stats
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 08:57:04 PM »

I had no intention of trying a PSP, but since my PC isn't over here yet and I'm living in a hotel, there's really not that much to do.  One of the other guys staying has a PSP though, and I have to say that Wario Ware: Touched has had more than a few outings (especially the Retro mode might I add).

They are great little consoles, innovative and fun, but god the screen now looks like someone has given it a going over with some kind of sandpaper.  I believe there are some screen protector things, but I wouldn't really want to spend so much on a handheld to have to buy screen protectors every 5 minutes.

I saw a funny advert in a Dutch magazine over here, with 4 guys sitting around a table.  3 were playing on PSPs and the other had a DS.  On the DS guy's screen, as if trying to communicate with the others, it read 'anybody up for a game of pokemon?  guys?  hello?  why is everybody ignoring me!?'.  Can't find an image online but I thought it was a great advert Cheesy

Me vs Gretzky
Lord Nepenthean
Co-Founder

WWW Stats
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »

I do seriously wonder how the DS screen will hold up over time, because I think that could have a lot to do with PSP sales.  If they all start to crap out at the same time, the PSP is suddenly going to look very attractive to a lot of people.

Odonadon
RFG Friend

WWW Stats
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2005, 07:54:38 PM »

Nonsense.  People have been using touch screen systems since, well, the Newton.  You ever hear anyone complain that the screen got so bad it was unusable?  Treat it right, get a pack of 15 screen protectors for $3, replace them a few times a year, and you won't see a scratch.

The PSP Screen?  Besides the "normal" dead pixels, you'll see scratches galore if you aren't gentle with it.  At least the DS folds to protect the screen.   Gotta protect your investments people.

OD

If Jesus were alive today I'm sure he'd own a PS2.
http://turbo2k.net - TurboGrafx-16 Megasite.
Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2005, 09:40:20 PM »

To prove a point my friend refused to buy a stylus and uses pencils pens and pockeet knives on his touch screen. It is still immaculate.

Izret101
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 08:00:43 PM »

I was watching my friends play earlier and I have to say that really is one beautiful piece of machinery.

I want one bad. I wanted  DS when i saw that but not nearly as much as i want to get a PSP.
I am going to try and get one for my B-Day.

Unfortunately i think driving school the week before is going to make that much less likely.

I will start spending much less at school lunch to save money and add that to what i will be getting so i can hopefully get it soon.

evilwatermelon29
Tiger Gizmondo

Stats
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2005, 07:27:28 AM »

I was wondering too...can't be too badly cosidering the fact that I can't find a damn one anywhere.

NES...Genesis...The Good Ol' Days...
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 08:09:04 AM »

Welcome to the boards  evilwatermelon29. Go here if you want to introduce yourself.

http://www.rfgeneration.c...on=display;num=1086703181

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length