RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 27, 2024, 05:08:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | How much is to much for a nes. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How much is to much for a nes.  (Read 2088 times)
GamingGuru
N-Gage

Stats
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:42:35 PM »

So i was at my closest retro game store (43 MINUTES AWAY) and he is asking for 100$ for a nes with one control and no games and this guy asked for 55 bucks for Legend of Zelda ocarina of time which i foolishly bought so i was wondering is this guy overcharging because he the only retro game stores around so maybe he is asking for this much because he knows he is the only one in with this kinda merchandise.

Izret101
Postmaster General; Wielder of the Mighty Banhammer
Director
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 10:47:39 PM »

That is stupidly overpriced.

I'm sure someone on this website would be able to offload a working system with more controllers a zapper and a game or 2 for less than that shipped.

EDIT
and it would save you 1.5 hours of driving/gas.

Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 10:53:28 PM »

I'd agree. System can generally be picked up via forums for reasonable prices. It sounds like this person is way overpriced, and I would avoid the place.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:39:27 PM »

i third that, avoid this store, those prices are way out there. also unfortunately you were ripped off on Ocarina of Time, a quick search of ebay shows over a dozen that recently sold for less than $30, at least half of those for under $20...even with shipping none would be more than $40 at the very worst.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 07:40:59 AM »

Sorry to hear that you overpaid for Zelda, but I'm sure that's happened to a lot of us here. I know I've overpaid for a game before.

$100 for an NES is way too expensive, so I'd suggest you be patient and you might just find one at a garage sale or kijiji. Someone here might have one for sale too.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
singlebanana
Director
United States

Stats
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »

Yeah, most NES systems in my area sell for around $40 in retro and in pawn shops with all hookups and 2 controllers.  You can still grab them from time to time for $20-$30. Try a flea market or yard sale, NES systems are still out there and can still be had pretty cheap.  If the system was boxed, well then, $100 might not be so bad depending on the condition.

RFGen Co-Director; pinball, 2600 & NES nutjob, co-host of the RFGen
 Community Playthrough and the RFGen Playcast. Listen/Download on iTunes and Podbean: www.rfgplaycast.com

Complete licensed NA NES, U.S. SMS, NA Vectrex, and Microvision sets!, 11 left for 7800, 25 for 5200, 42 for Colecovision
NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »

Next time you're in the store, ask him if its the "NES-001" model, if he gets excited and tells you it is, walk out of the store and never go back.

I'm willing to bet someone on here will sell you an NES for half of what this store is charging.

Leynos
Atari 7800
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 02:53:13 PM »

You can get a working NES for like 3$ at goodwill. That dude stupidly overpriced it
RetroRage
it's not that bad...You can barely notice it.
Donor

Stats
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 04:51:19 PM »

As if you don't need more reinforcement, yes that's over-priced.

Online forums like good ol' rfgen and nintendoage should be where you shop.  Don't give that guy another dime.

Sorry to hear that you overpaid for Zelda, but I'm sure that's happened to a lot of us here. I know I've overpaid for a game before.

Yeah, it's a part of the learning process.  When I first started I bought Side Pocket for Sega Genesis CIB for $20.  I thought it was worth it, because hey, how many CIB games are there out there right?  Well, turns out there's a ton...and Side Pocket CIB is worth about $4.

GamingGuru a good place to see what a game/system is really worth is www.pricecharting.com.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:14:47 PM by RetroRage » Logged

smith45885
Memorex VIS

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:41:34 PM »

I'd feel like a thief asking $100 for a NES..
GamingGuru
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »

Thanks for the input i don't have a good understanding of what old games and consoles are worth but when i heard 100$ i nearly laughed i would not pay 100$ for a Nes just is not happening but when i look at his other prices i just see how much of a crook he is charging 55$ for a copy of Super Mario brothers 3 i even know that is overpriced. Their is overcharging then their is blatant thievery and that guy is so close to the line. I am not giving that jackass another fucking penny. Thanks Again.   

GamingGuru
N-Gage

Stats
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »

Thanks that makes me feel better when i saw how much i over payed i got so angry at myself but at least i learned not to spend that much. 

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length