RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 19, 2024, 06:21:39 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we're rolling around at the speed of sound.

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | When is it considered hoarding vs collecting? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: When is it considered hoarding vs collecting?  (Read 1327 times)
RetroByte
N-Gage

Stats
« on: January 02, 2013, 08:56:25 PM »

I came across this video on youtube today 

I'm wondering, if he had all those games neatly organized, would he be viewed differently?  It seems to me like the difference between a hoarder and a collector is how they store and display what they own.  Do you think this is accurate?

btw, i realize that the video is a parody, but i wouldn't be surprised if there are video game collectors actually like this.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:59:32 PM by RetroByte » Logged
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »

i haven't watched the video yet but i agree completely. hoarders are those that have a real addiction to gathering things. they don't know how to stop, it potentially ruins their life/relationship, and they rarely get rid of anything. also the unorganised pointless messiness. collectors are usually organised (everything catalogued like most of us on RFG), with a place for almost everything, and a system that allows you to have a large collection without it interfering too much with living in your house. besides how most of us started their collections buying at random in bulk, most of us develop a focus after a while and tend to get out of the buy everything habit. although we're reluctant to do it, most of us are willing to sell off parts of our collections if something more important is in dire need of money, or even just to audit and clear out things we don't want anymore. these aren't traits i've seen in the few episodes of hoarders i've watched.
Fleach
Blog Writer
Canada

Stats
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »

I agree with Techwizard and would like to add that hoarding involves the unhealthy inability to part with things. Hoarding goes beyond just wanting stuff, those people feel helplessly compelled to fill a void in their lives. These people accumulate things with no rhyme or reason and without a concern for their well being.

Collectors, on the other hand, systematically search for, acquire, organize, and display things that reflect their interests or something that gives them enjoyment. They can control their desire to get things, and like Techwizard said, can part with things if the situation arose.

I don't think there's a line that, once crossed, one stops being a collector and becomes a hoarder. I do, however, think that collecting must be done responsibly insofar as it doesn't have a negative impact on one's lifestyle and finances.

Interestingly enough, there's a show called "Collection Intervention" that addresses this issue. The show features people who have gone off the deep end of collecting and are no longer able to keep track of what they have. If this topics interests you I'd highly recommend that program.

"Another exciting Canadian"

Like RPGs and Indie Games? Check out my blog!

Co-host of the RF Gen PlayCast http://rfgenplaycast.podbean.com/
Techie413
We need to talk about your flair.
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »

I think plenty of us are safe for now from being labeled hoarders, considering all the giving to other collectors that has been going on.

techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:36:13 AM »

just watched the video, is that from the actual Hoarders series? it looks different than the other episodes i've seen, in terms of quality. and the way the people talk sounds very scripted, i almost wonder if it's all a setup.
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:07:49 AM »

just watched the video, is that from the actual Hoarders series? it looks different than the other episodes i've seen, in terms of quality. and the way the people talk sounds very scripted, i almost wonder if it's all a setup.

I thought it was real until I saw that boxed copy of Chiller he picked up. No way cardboard stays in the good of condition after sitting around on the floor. Definitely a parody.

I agree with Tech and Fleach completely. Unless its disrupting other areas of your life I don't see the problem.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length