RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 16, 2024, 06:29:54 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Where we play the Power Pad with our feet, not our hands, dagnabbit!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Ideas on wireless Routers for my PS3? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ideas on wireless Routers for my PS3?  (Read 1902 times)
Paully3433
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:29:39 AM »

I am picking up a new tv for x-mas as well as a PS3 for my 7-year old and I. I need a new wireless router and I am pretty clueless on what to get that would work well with my PS3 & PSP. I am open to any options but would like to keep the price under $100 if possible as I want to try to keep as much $$$ available for a home audio set up if I can swing that all at the same time. So shoot me some ideas....

Alabama-Shrimp
TurboGrafx-16
United Kingdom

Stats
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 10:05:08 AM »

Get the cheapest. Helpful I know but in all the years I spent fixing computers there was hardly a difference between things like that other than range, but they differ depending on your house. so as an option always go for the cheap one, then it's no major loss if it all goes tits up

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:14:03 AM »

I am picking up a new tv for x-mas as well as a PS3 for my 7-year old and I. I need a new wireless router and I am pretty clueless on what to get that would work well with my PS3 & PSP. I am open to any options but would like to keep the price under $100 if possible as I want to try to keep as much $$$ available for a home audio set up if I can swing that all at the same time. So shoot me some ideas....

Something that came up at my house, that was somewhat surprising - the PSP doesn't support most of the current password encryption support. I don't even think it supports WPA2. Just a word of warning when setting up your router.

blcklblskt
Nintendo 64
DB Contributor
United States
Awards: 2017 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

I use the router that Verizon gave us when we got FIOS.  It works well for all of our electronic devices.  This probably doesn't help you, though.  Tongue
bickman2k
Director
United States
Awards: 2017 RF Generation Punch-Out Heavyweight Champion!

Stats

Champion of

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »

Something that came up at my house, that was somewhat surprising - the PSP doesn't support most of the current password encryption support. I don't even think it supports WPA2. Just a word of warning when setting up your router.

It seems that some routers let you use WPA and WPA2 simultaneously. You might look for one that does that.

[img width=468 height=60]http://www.rfgeneration.com/images/banners/generated/collection/bickman2k.png[/img]
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:39:44 PM »

Get the cheapest. Helpful I know but in all the years I spent fixing computers there was hardly a difference between things like that other than range, but they differ depending on your house. so as an option always go for the cheap one, then it's no major loss if it all goes tits up

i don't recommend this, i've had 2 cheap routers and talked to others that had cheap ones, they always start having problems a lot sooner than the more expensive ones. yes they can offer the same features, but most commonly you'll start losing connection frequently and have to restart the router to fix it. it doesn't sound bad, but when it gets to the point of it happening every 10-30 minutes like both of my cheap ones did, you'll know what i mean. it doesn't have to be really expensive, you can get good ones around the $80-90 range, just stick with the big brands because most of them seem to work better for me. linksys, d-link, etc. i've always gone with linksys personally and never had any problems with them. my current linksys has been in use for i think about 2 or 3 years, and it very rarely needs to be restarted (maybe once every couple months at most). the cheap ones i've had usually started needing frequent restarts after about a year of use if not less.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:42:12 PM by techwizard » Logged
wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 04:03:51 PM »

I really like my Netgear WNDR3700.  Supports just about everything you could imagine including running a second independent network dedicated to guests of your home or business.

It used to retail for $150 but this time of year you may be able to find one for under $100 if you look hard enough.

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 10:02:21 AM »

Looks like the price has come down under $100

https://deals.bestbuy.com...t+gigabit+ethernet+switch

Paully3433
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:09:05 PM »

I went with the model you mentioned. N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, Model WNDR3700v3. It was on sale at Best Buy for $89.99 in this weeks flyer. I got it hooked up just a few minutes ago. Hope it is good enough to boom me Netflix through my PS3.

Although when i just did a search with my PSP to scan for my wireless, it shows up but it is greyed out and says Not Supported, is there settings I need to change??

EDIT: After doing some digging...
"The PSP doesn't support 54 (g) rather its max is 11 (b)."
Therefore, set up the Guest Network with no security and boomzer it works.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 09:36:00 PM by Paully3433 » Logged

Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:33:20 PM »

I went with the model you mentioned. N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, Model WNDR3700v3. It was on sale at Best Buy for $89.99 in this weeks flyer. I got it hooked up just a few minutes ago. Hope it is good enough to boom me Netflix through my PS3.

Although when i just did a search with my PSP to scan for my wireless, it shows up but it is greyed out and says Not Supported, is there settings I need to change??

Just to let you know, I believe I warned you about this previously. PSP doesn't support newer encryption models. Tongue
You'll need to switch your security to an older encryption that the PSP supports.

Paully3433
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 09:36:17 PM »

Read above Smiley

wildbil52
Blog Writer
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »

Nice!  Let me know how you like it after a few weeks.  The thing about a router is that if it is good, you don't even notice it's there.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length