RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 16, 2024, 05:05:31 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Gaming | Video Game Generation | Disc rot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Disc rot  (Read 3612 times)
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »

A bit of an odd suggestion maybe, but regarding the pinholes...

In a factory pressed disc, the reflective foil doesn't technically contain the actual game data. It just reflect the laser back, the data is stored in the grooves of the plastic. Assuming that it's really just the foil layer 'rotting' and developing pinholes, and not say an actual nick on the surface layer (damaging the plastic underneath as well as the foil layer), couldn't you theoretically find something similarly reflective and just "fill in" the pinholes?

I mean if a disc is seemingly damaged beyond repair anyway, it can't hurt to try.

That only helps to prevent disc read errors - it doesn't prevent data loss. We do similar things here at work, and I've done similar things with my credit card to prevent it from erroring out at the register by filling it in with permanent marker.

My question is if the data is actually 'lost' if the foil layer is actually rotting as opposed to top layer damage.

Hmm, that's a good point. Unfortunately, I don't have one of the foil discs at home to check - most of mine have true pinholes in them, missing both the foil and the label itself.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »

Hmm, that's a good point. Unfortunately, I don't have one of the foil discs at home to check - most of mine have true pinholes in them, missing both the foil and the label itself.

I found a couple of pinholes in a couple of my Saturn and Ps1 games, but the games in question had a few scratches anyway and the pinholes are located on areas of the label where it's blank and you can see the reflective foil underneath. There's no way to tell if the pinholes are actually from rot or if they're just label side nicks. Plus, the games in question all work fine without issues, so even if I attempted a 'fix' I'd have no idea if it worked or not.

Still I think it's an idea worth keeping in mind.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 10:44:56 AM »

I found a couple of pinholes in a couple of my Saturn and Ps1 games, but the games in question had a few scratches anyway and the pinholes are located on areas of the label where it's blank and you can see the reflective foil underneath. There's no way to tell if the pinholes are actually from rot or if they're just label side nicks. Plus, the games in question all work fine without issues, so even if I attempted a 'fix' I'd have no idea if it worked or not.

Try running it through a program that validates the data contents. Did you verify that it was in a section that had data burned?

slackur
Blog Writer

Stats
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »

I'd assume even if it were only the reflective layer, the precision angle the laser needs to reflect the data would be near impossible to regain, since it is calibrated to the inside of the disc and the disc cannot be 'opened' again, so to speak.  But I honestly wouldn't know.

Keelah se'lai
Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 11:37:42 AM »

Try running it through a program that validates the data contents. Did you verify that it was in a section that had data burned?

If you know of a free program I can do that with I'd be happy to check real fast.

EDIT: well turns out they have redbook audio, so i guess at worst I might expect mild audio skips in gameplay.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:49:12 AM by Quackula » Logged
The Metamorphosing Leon
Laying on the green leaf, left and abandoned...
Donor
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 12:52:22 AM »

Got a bad case of this off some weeaboo in a kawaii Princess Peach costume on halloween couple years back,.

When shall his new form be revealed?
bombatomba
Blog Editor
United States

WWW Stats

Champion of

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 07:08:19 AM »

Got a bad case of this off some weeaboo in a kawaii Princess Peach costume on halloween couple years back,.

Sounds like a lyric in a Futuristic Sex Robot song...

"Thou mayest all thy troubles now forget,
    Th'Imperi'l knaves have been outrun at last."

- Han Solo
Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 07:57:56 AM »

Was he hot at least?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length