RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.RF Generation.  The Classic and Modern Gaming Databases.

New on the Blogs
Hot Community Blog Entries
Nielsen's Favorites on Channel 4
RF Generation Message Board Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2024, 06:23:45 PM
Home Help Search Calendar Member Map Arcade Login Register
News: RF Generation: Check us out on Discord! Link on the front page!

RF Generation Message Board | Collecting | Collection Connection | another variant discussion thread. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: another variant discussion thread.  (Read 2416 times)
noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »

If you consider yourself a collector of a certain console, how do you feel about variants?

For this example, let's say your goal was to collect the Saturn's library...

(A) Nights Into Dreams was released both as a traditional longbox and as a pack-in with the 3D controller. The pack-in version is in a jewel case. Do you feel like you need both releases to have a "complete" collection?

(B) Daytona USA was released both as a stand-alone game and then re-released in the super elusive (and expensive) Net-Link edition which offered online gameplay. Do you feel like you need both releases to have a "complete" collection?

(C) There's a 3-Pack release of Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop. Do you feel you need this 3-Pack and all three stand-alone longbox releases to have a "complete" collection?

...this thread is definitely aimed more at the collectors here. I personally have my own views on veriants, but I'm curious what others views are.

Zagnorch
MAJIN SONIC'S BLOODLUST MUST BE SATED!
Donor
United States

Stats
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 12:53:50 AM »

Unless a variant includes a little something extra thrown in that I might be interested in, whichever version I find first is the one I pick up.
Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:46:42 AM »

Something like yellow label and silver label Metroid, or Grey and Gold Cart Zeldas? Sure.

Something like 5 screw/3 screw or round/oval seal variants though? Nah.
techwizard
Donor
Canada

Stats
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »

Something like yellow label and silver label Metroid, or Grey and Gold Cart Zeldas? Sure.

Something like 5 screw/3 screw or round/oval seal variants though? Nah.

i agree with this, if it's a major difference then ya, like for example i just replaced my copy of metroid prime that had a "best seller" award on the cover art for the original release. i also needed the manual too but the point is i do prefer certain variants over others.

minor differences like the nes ones quackula listed and others like model or version changes, i don't really care about. excepts being if a certain version # fixes a game breaking glitch or anything like that, or adds some significant feature like the japanese re-release of super mario 64 getting rumble pak support.

for your examples:

A, i would definitely want both if i was going for a complete collection, but i wouldn't feel like i needed it to count as a complete collection. i would probably count my collection as complete with only one of those.

B, in most cases i would go with the version with the most features, the net-link one, but considering how expensive it is i would go with the basic version. that one is a borderline call on whether i would count it for a complete collection though, i probably wouldn't, but i'm sure it would bother me not having it XD.

C, i'm not familiar with the saturn library, but if you mean a 3-pack in the same way there are dual packs of PSP and PS2 games (and other systems) where it has separate cases for each game inside and they're just put into a single outer box sleeve, then i wouldn't count that for a complete set. i would actually avoid that for a complete set and only get the original releases of each, because i kind of consider 3-packs/dual-packs along the same line as PC/GH/PH, they're just new packaging on the same game and i would really prefer the original only.

i definitely see all your examples as valid variants though and worthy of collecting as a bonus on top of a complete set. i just wouldn't count them towards whether or not my collection was complete.
Shadow Kisuragi
Variant Collector
Director
United States
Awards: 2013 Fantasy Football Winner

Stats
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 08:32:26 AM »

Considering that I attempt to document every variant known to man, you know my answers to your questions. Tongue
However, I will not consider "variants" for the older consoles due to differences caused by hand manufactured items.

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 09:14:25 AM »

i definitely see all your examples as valid variants though and worthy of collecting as a bonus on top of a complete set. i just wouldn't count them towards whether or not my collection was complete.

that's basically my way of thinking. For me, in those examples, if I own any version of Nights, then I own that game. I don't really NEED another version of it to feel my collection is complete.

Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »

that's basically my way of thinking. For me, in those examples, if I own any version of Nights, then I own that game. I don't really NEED another version of it to feel my collection is complete.

Thats my thought for the most part. If I were attacking the Saturn library I would probably try and end up with the different versions of something like NiGHTS like you mentioned, because its an important game and the variants in packaging are significantly different though.

With the Daytona Netlink Edition I'm not sure. I probably wouldnt pursue it unless I was done with the rest of the system and it was still screaming my name afterwards.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Crabmaster2000
Podcast Crew
Canada

Stats
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »

Thats my thought for the most part. If I were attacking the Saturn library I would probably try and end up with the different versions of something like NiGHTS like you mentioned, because its an important game and the variants in packaging are significantly different though.

With the Daytona Netlink Edition I'm not sure. I probably wouldnt pursue it unless I was done with the rest of the system and it was still screaming my name afterwards.

Want to see someone barely eke through a whole pile of NES games? Check out my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/us...00Crabmaster?feature=mhee

300+ NES games beaten since October 2011

Co-Host of the Rfgeneration Collectorcast:
http://rfgenerationcollectorcast.podomatic.com/
Duke.Togo
Nintender Tape
Director
United States

WWW Stats
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

Considering what you listed, the only item there with any real additional expense is Daytona CCE NetLink, and no one would even know the variance without opening the case so I'd probably pass on it.

Why not grab the other cheap variants and have a nice collection?

noiseredux
Blog Writer

WWW Stats
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:23:52 AM »

so if I had every Saturn game EXCEPT the longbox version of Nights and individual releases of Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona you wouldn't think I had a nice collection? Tongue

NES_Rules
Director
United States
Awards: I live here

Stats
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »

If I have any variant of a game, I say I have it, and am more or less content with that. However, if I happen to get a variant of the same title in a lot, I'll keep both versions and just consider the less pleasing looking version to be a bonus. Perfect example would be Best Sellers, I'm fine with having them in my collection and don't actively try to replace them, but when I do get an original release, it goes on the shelf and the best seller is taken off the shelf.

Quackula
Virtual Boy
United States

Stats
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 03:10:12 PM »

so if I had every Saturn game EXCEPT the longbox version of Nights and individual releases of Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona you wouldn't think I had a nice collection? Tongue
You'd have a collection with no qualms about calling him ugly. Not a very nice collection at all.
Tynstar
Achievement Whore
DB Editor
United States

Stats
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »

If you consider yourself a collector of a certain console, how do you feel about variants?

For this example, let's say your goal was to collect the Saturn's library...

(A) Nights Into Dreams was released both as a traditional longbox and as a pack-in with the 3D controller. The pack-in version is in a jewel case. Do you feel like you need both releases to have a "complete" collection?

(B) Daytona USA was released both as a stand-alone game and then re-released in the super elusive (and expensive) Net-Link edition which offered online gameplay. Do you feel like you need both releases to have a "complete" collection?

(C) There's a 3-Pack release of Daytona USA, Virtua Fighter 2 and Virtua Cop. Do you feel you need this 3-Pack and all three stand-alone longbox releases to have a "complete" collection?

...this thread is definitely aimed more at the collectors here. I personally have my own views on veriants, but I'm curious what others views are.

If you have one copy of a game i say it is complete. Extra are just icing on the cake. I have everything you mentioned but the stand alone Nights release. I am looking to get that one though.

Wempster
Donor
United States
Awards: 2016 RFGen Top Wheelman

WWW Stats
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 09:43:04 PM »

I do not actively seek out variants, and usually wont bother with color differences in the cart unless there is something really special about it like a Turok: Rage Wars gray cart.  The exception being Legend of Zelda.  I feel I do need all of them.   
Beardcore84
that TMNT guy
Donor

Stats
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 10:18:52 PM »

If I stumble upon a variant I don't have, I pick it up. But my goal is to have one copy of each game. For example, Gunsmoke for NES, has two different covers. I currently only have one of them. I do not feel the need to get the other, however if I came across it for a good deal, I'd grab it  up.

Running out of games to buy.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length